Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Ron, I think the only difference in the paper and plastic rolls are, that one you can see through, the other you can't! One supplier may prefer the clear wrap over paper. I know that some bank tellers really don't care for the plastic. FFD

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jim4silver said:
In my area Brinks rolls all coins in plastic (except halves).

Jim
I also think Brinks use plastic for money saving.

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plastics are awesome for rim-searching. I prefer them whenever I can get my hands on them. ;D

Seagates

Feb 7, 2009
HolyDiver said:
Plastics are awesome for rim-searching. I prefer them whenever I can get my hands on them. ;D

I'm the opposite, the opening of the paper has become some what of a ritual for coin searching so when I'm able to quickly look through the plastic it seems like much more of a treasure hunting let down for me.

Here the brinks rolled ones are in plastic and other companies use different forms of paper.

From an environmental standpoint the paper route is by far better imho as paper is renewable and plastic for the most part isn't (I'm pretty sure that those plastic rolls aren't made much from vegetable oil but correct me if I'm wrong.) The paper obviously decomposes faster which seems like a better bet since most of us dispose of the 'byproducts of our hobby' into landfills.

I'm pretty sure I can even get to the goods faster in a paper roll as well, have the opening down to a quick cut and rip and push :) While I still struggle with the plastic ones bending them and caressing the coins out of the sleeve.

XX

Jan 11, 2008
If I'm not mistaken, I think Brink's has patented the clear plastic wrap. They claim it eliminates the need to crack the
roll on a hard surface, thus saving your counter's edge from damage. That's from memory so I don't know how accurate
that is about the patent.

I do believe that from what I've seen (and read here) that Brink's is the only one using plastic wrap for coin rolls.

Jack_MIghtyheart

Aug 5, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I can only get those plastic wraps...I kinda wish I could find paper rolls. I mostly do pennies, so edge searching isn't possible, and the plastic just becomes a burden.

alabamadan

May 2, 2005
Dixie
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I resuse the paper rolls and I'm actually pretty fast at opening them and refilling them. Not only are my dump banks happy to take rolled coins back, but I'm being green. I don't think you can resuse plastic can you?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread