HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN?

COPPER DIME

Jan 12, 2009
Swamp Land's of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE. Backup/ Whites Classic 5ID
When i first started CRHing i would open the box of halves & start taking roll after roll. now after finding my share of SILVER :icon_sunny:. I now open the box & look 2 c if there is any SILVER on the top of the rolles. this the first time this has happen 2 me. as u will see n the pics. picked up 4 boxes. the first was a skunk. the 2nd one when i pulled the first roll out & opened it 1964 i thought 2 my self this is going to be a good box. well it was not that bad. there was a 64 & two 67's & a first 4 me, two 2004s proofs. 90% silver. not in good shape. but still 90%. 3rd box skunk. opened the last one & what a wonderful site. there looking at me a 1937 LIBERTY. went get the camara. now i'm thinking jackpot!!!!!! this box will be great. but dont u know that was the only SILVER coin in the box :'(.what i'm trying to understand is we all hear stories of all of our diffrent boxes we search through. but how does this old coin get stuck in a roll alone with no other SILVER? i'm sure yall understand what i'm saying. if there was some way we could see the life of this one coin,from 1937 when she was first minted,through all the diffrent hands she has touched,to how she ended up being the only SILVER coin in a box of a thousand other coins. thanks 4 yall time.
COPPER DIME

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 528
  • ccc.JPG
    ccc.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 521
Upvote 0

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Ay, I opened a box first roll grabbed had 11 Silver in it, yeah the Box had total of 28 but that first roll made me think was gonna find 600 in the box; only one other box had an 11 in the roll & that box had 264 in it- in fact every roll had at least 1 in it. :wink:

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
Lucky you got that box when you did- she almost escaped. Thas how it works you know, she's always burried in the rolls then Ken starts gettin too fresh and she starts to smackin her way outa there. Thas also how we wind up with so many marked coins, hate to break it to ya but its time you learned the truth. HH Mark

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've that same thing happen- a WL showing and nothing else.
Last night I opened a box, put the rolls on the coffee table and started ripping. The first roll gave a 40%er. I thought "Cool! Should be a good box!"
NOPE! that was the only one in the box, in the first roll I grabbed.

OP
OP
COPPER DIME

COPPER DIME

Jan 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Its strange how a old coin r a 1964 half can get stuck with a 1000 coins & b the only keeper :icon_scratch: ??? good luck 2 all!!!!!!!
COPPER DIME

XX

Jan 11, 2008
It gets worse.

Imagine opening a box, finding two 90%ers on the ends of rolls staring at you, and they are the only two.

I can see one being the only one, there's a 5% chance that the lone silver will be staring at you when you open
the box (10% if you're checking both sides), but the odds of two staring at you being the only ones is much lower.

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had that happen to me too. I've also had the opposite happen, nothing showing and the box being loaded. Never judge a box by it's cover.

Johny Hawx

Greenie
Mar 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Oddly enough Ive had a barber showing with nothing else in the box.

XX

Jan 11, 2008
Johny Hawx said:
Oddly enough Ive had a barber showing with nothing else in the box.

Yes, but I bet you would take those boxes all day long. even if the only thing you ever got out of them was a single Barber per box.

Johny Hawx

Greenie
Mar 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
you bet xx ive been lucky with the barber halves, 8 total since about this time last year.

OP
OP
COPPER DIME

COPPER DIME

Jan 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
i will never say that getting what i got out of these 4 boxes is a bad thing. the thing i was looking 4 is the life of a coin. thanks so much 4 yall replies :thumbsup:!!!
COPPER DIME

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last good box i had was showing 2 walkers and a ben facing me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread