Search Tips please

kurtma12

Apr 19, 2009
Georgia
I was wondering, when you are looking through quarter or dime rolls looking for silver, do you check every single coin or just looks at the edges? My experience is that I can see silver because the color is softer and solid, where the clad is two tone in appearance from the ridges. What are the chances I am missing out on silver doing it this way? I know that some of the fun is looking for errors and dates and such, but what about just for silver?

I got skunked today on $825 in client rolled quarters and dimes. I had high hopes for it.

Also, being new to CRHing, are there any clad key dates with quarters or dimes?

Upvote 0

Pipster

Mar 8, 2007
denver
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, vision v3i,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i edge check for silver after practice you get good at it but Always check the dirty rimmed ones most of the time it will be clad but i have plucked a few out that were silver. i stay away from quarters due to the lack of silver but dimes seem to have 1-2 per box in my area.
good luck look forward to your posts

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Pipster said:
i edge check for silver after practice you get good at it but Always check the dirty rimmed ones most of the time it will be clad but i have plucked a few out that were silver. i stay away from quarters due to the lack of silver but dimes seem to have 1-2 per box in my area.
good luck look forward to your posts

I do occasionally find dirty ones that look like Silver & even questionable ones that are Silver so do not be in too big rush "rim" searching you can miss Some good Silver ones.

I'm not too interested in looking for errors so much as the Silver; have only done 1 penny & 1 Dime box, got 6 rolls of Copper- 2 Wheaties, and 1 64 Rosie in Dime Box; neither excited me much like doin Halves.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions