So I bought an $878 bag of halves today, can someone help?

JJTheisen

Apr 19, 2009
USAF
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
So as I have said before, I work at a bank full-time. I called down to our other branch today to see how many halvse they had. They told me the change machine had a bag with $878 in it, so i said i would come get them and buy them on my lunch break. After 35 min of me and my friend searching the coins, we cam out with 47 40%, 8 90%, and 3 2005 halves. I keep going to pcgs to try and figure out the troy ounce calculations, but i guess its just not making sense to me. Can someone give me an easy equation for finding out how many ounces of silver I have found. I figured out there are 480 grains to a troy ounce. Again, any help would be greatly appreciated. I appreciate the help I have already been given! Thanks guys.

JJ

Upvote 0

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
First of all, read through the very first post on this forum (BEGINNERS GUIDE TO COIN ROLL HUNTING!!! + TERMS) It was specifically created for newbies like you.

Second, read through the very first post on this forum (BEGINNERS GUIDE TO COIN ROLL HUNTING!!! + TERMS) It was specifically created for newbies like you.

Lastly, to answer your question, it takes approx 7 40% halves to make a one troy oz and it takes 3 90% halves.

OP
OP
JJTheisen

JJTheisen

Apr 19, 2009
USAF
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
thurmownator said:
First of all, read through the very first post on this forum (BEGINNERS GUIDE TO COIN ROLL HUNTING!!! + TERMS) It was specifically created for newbies like you.

Second, read through the very first post on this forum (BEGINNERS GUIDE TO COIN ROLL HUNTING!!! + TERMS) It was specifically created for newbies like you.

Lastly, to answer your question, it takes approx 7 40% halves to make a one troy oz and it takes 3 90% halves.

Appreciate it! I was curious though, the reason I kept the 2005 halves today is because you posted they were not meant for curculation. What is the worth on them since they are basically mint? Thanks for that beginners post, I have read it, I guess I missed the troy ounce portion.

Take it easy
JJ

capy325

Apr 9, 2008
coinflation.com works well also. You can use the melt value calculator near the bottom of the page... :thumbsup:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
JJTheisen said:
thurmownator said:

Appreciate it! I was curious though, the reason I kept the 2005 halves today is because you posted they were not meant for curculation. What is the worth on them since they are basically mint? Thanks for that beginners post, I have read it, I guess I missed the troy ounce portion.

Take it easy
JJ
According to coinflation.com, the 2005 has a metal value of approx. 6 cents.
Although you may be able to trade them for $.50, lol!

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
I dumped about $250 worth of 2005's back into the wild a while back....keep looking and you might get that box! ::)

Maine_Jim

PullTabPrincess

Jul 22, 2007
Gainesville Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Minelab Excaliber II, Troy Shadow X5
I use coinflation.com coin calculator. It's great! You type in the number of coins you have and pick the type of coin and voila! You have current value based on that day's silver value :icon_queen:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread