Anyone search vending machines??

Jimmy@romega

Dec 4, 2008
rome, ga
Sometimes at work on break or when I have a chance to kill a few minutes I put some quarters in vending machines and hit the return button just to see what other coins comes out. I figure it's easier than buying rolls of coins and running bank to bank. No silver yet on quarters or dimes and probably slim chances that I will see one. Done nickels on the vending machines and came up with 2-1940 and 1-1947 in about 5 minutes. I think I had a 50 something nickel that came out but I put it back in thinking it was worthless. I kept some AU 1999 quarters around 15 of them so far.

Any others tried this method? Any luck?

Upvote 0

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I've never heard of this strategy, but it seems like a pretty cool break-time treasure hunting activity. It might also be cool to try after metal detecting, when you have a pocketful of dirty face-value coins to get rid of. Hah, let the vender worry about them! At the very least you get to think about something besides for a while, and maybe even get a coke when you're done. Cool idea, though, man.

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, it 's been brought up on this forum before; VMHing. (vending machine hunting)

It has provided some nice keepers for folks; myself included.

kbinski

Sep 29, 2008
I think that would be embarassing to explain to your coworkers that you are trying to find some neat coins.

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
my dad got a few gum ball machines that he set up in a few areas around town.
so far in little over a yr he found 2 silver quarters while emptying them out

Cerulean

Dec 1, 2006
Washington, DC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found a few 1940s nickels this way, and a 2005 Canadian quarter. As with CRH, nickels have the best yield.

XX

Jan 11, 2008
I've done this before and while I've found one Florida Proof Quarter, I've also gotten three nickels back in place of quarters (not at the same time).

wharghoul

May 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD
I'm now known as the weird guy at work that hangs out by the coke machine. Don't suppose anyone knows a way to look for silver and look cool at the same time? Oh well, who cares, i'll just keep stack'in.

Silvergold

Greenie
May 25, 2009
Hey Jimmy I have done this before too. When at my old workplace, i did that with the nickels and out popped a 1943-P 40% silver.
This is a good stretegy but sometimes, depending on the machine it will spit out whatever you put in.
Silvergold :thumbsup:

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
I've never tried this method - maybe next time I'm needing a fix and don't have a box handy...

Maine_Jim

DEMERSON

Dec 17, 2008
Hemet,ca
Detector(s) used
fisher F2
EpsilonMinus said:
I've never heard of this strategy, but it seems like a pretty cool break-time treasure hunting activity. It might also be cool to try after metal detecting, when you have a pocketful of dirty face-value coins to get rid of.
so that's how i clean my dirty dug up clad. :headbang: :hello2: :thumbsup:

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
DEMERSON said:
EpsilonMinus said:
I've never heard of this strategy, but it seems like a pretty cool break-time treasure hunting activity. It might also be cool to try after metal detecting, when you have a pocketful of dirty face-value coins to get rid of.
so that's how i clean my dirty dug up clad. :headbang: :hello2: :thumbsup:
It's just unfortunate that most of the nasty clad finds are rotted pennies and no machines will accept them as payment for anything...

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EpsilonMinus said:
It's just unfortunate that most of the nasty clad finds are rotted pennies and no machines will accept them as payment for anything...
I had a baggy full once and decided to go to coin star with mine. Started slowly pouring them in and it was rejecting over 50% but then I started re-feeding them untill suddenly everything shut down and the screen said see manager. :o

I quietly retrieved all that did not go in and went home. I did not visit that store for a few months. :laughing7:

joad

Apr 15, 2009
East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I own several soda machines and a snack machine at my neighborhood pool. Last summer I found a silver proof state quarter straight out of a set. Some child got in big trouble for that one I'm sure! Gotta have that candy fix though.

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
cyberdan said:
EpsilonMinus said:
I had a baggy full once and decided to go to coin star with mine. Started slowly pouring them in and it was rejecting over 50% but then I started re-feeding them untill suddenly everything shut down and the screen said see manager. :o

I quietly retrieved all that did not go in and went home. I did not visit that store for a few months. :laughing7:
Man, If I was in that situation, after the thing seized up, I would have just poured the rest in there out of spite for those machines being such a rip off to begin with. Coin-machines should be free, since, I assume, a majority of people going to trade in their coins are doing it so they don't have to buy groceries with a bag of random loose coins. But I digress, since our economy is based on making money from other peoples money anyway. Funny story though, man!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread