my first $500 box of half dollars - zero results

riverguy

May 23, 2009
I heard about searching half dollars from a friend. My main bank would not let me buy coins unless I had a business account which i didn't. Went to another smaller local bank and put in $1,000 and got 1st box of 500 half dollars. Not a single one older than 1971. She said they get their coins from Brinks and Brinks must search them or somehow their sorters can ID pre-1971 half dollars. Any ideas other than switch banks?

Before I switch banks should I ask them where they get their half dollars? Are there sources to avoid like Brinks?

Upvote 0

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
riverguy said:
I heard about searching half dollars from a friend. My main bank would not let me buy coins unless I had a business account which i didn't. Went to another smaller local bank and put in $1,000 and got 1st box of 500 half dollars. Not a single one older than 1971. She said they get their coins from Brinks and Brinks must search them or somehow their sorters can ID pre-1971 half dollars. Any ideas other than switch banks?

Before I switch banks should I ask them where they get their half dollars? Are there sources to avoid like Brinks?

Do not believe Brinks searches the Silver outa the coins they process- shoot, Brinks Boxes have been very kind to me at lest 600 Silver ones in last 3 months and only 3 Brinks Boxes have been skunks for me, spread out in my multi box orders of a total of 34 Brinks Boxes so far.

Seems like I remember a Forum post- link to a story of Brinks employees who were terminated for doing there own whse Silver acquisitions.
It would be good to have 2 maybe 3 separate accounts to use to spread your orders around & be ready to move on when a bank rebels.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
riverguy said:

Well, you might get lucky on the next box, or, you may get a string of 10 or even 50 skunks. I quit months ago for that very reason, I just don't have the determination that some hunters have. I love crh'ing, but its cheaper for me to buy the silver! FFD

Scalper

Bronze Member
Jul 18, 2006
Curitiba, Brazil
Keep trying some areas are better for Brinks and some are better for CWI etc. My area CWI sucks and Brinks produces but not every box has keepers in them . The brinks driver around here and have seen the same thing posted on here is that they cull out all the silver which is b.s. , those lazy bastards just dont want to handle the boxes , best of luck and try some CWI boxes too they might be great ,Ed

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Hate to say it but 1 box does not quantify the experience.

You need to search lots more to determine your success rate.

All areas are different. some areas have lots of uncharted territory where as other have been drained like mine but I still find stuff because keepers get turned in all the time.

When you buy boxes its like your a fisherman tossing out a net and sometimes you get what your looking for, or you have to toss them all back in.

Quantity is the key. My area is searched out and with tons of competition I still manage to pull lots of silver ea month.

I do 50+ mostly Brinks boxes a month and hope to catch a box with 20 or more once in a while. But 1-3 is the norm it seems lately.

My worst month so far this year was January and I pulled over 100 keepers. divide that by 50 boxes and your looking at 2 keepers per box.

However I had over 300 keepers in march and your looking at an avg. of 6 per box. But its more like 5 skunks with one good box mixed in where you pull 20+ keepers.

So again volume is the key. And if you can find another source that pulls from Loomis or another carrier that will also increase your odds and diversify your searches. But make sure you have another bank that you can dump large quantity's of coin without any fees or hassles.

Mojo

OP
OP
R

riverguy

May 23, 2009
reply to mojocoin

Mojo,

I think you are right. And after reading more on this RCH forum, I see the guys/gals that are pulling out good coins are going through a lot of boxes/rolls/bags. I was just worried that my source at brinks had some kind of coin sorter that pulled out the silver. But it seems that is not the case based on replies I have received.

I will start getting more from different banks and dumping my coins back farther from where I live. I currently am investing in morgan silver dollars on ebay and that is an easy way to get silver, and I am selling my gold bug detector on ebay and getting a Fisher ID Edge for my coin hunting and doing the RCH thing so I think I have most of my silver sources covered. My neighbor has a deal with a guy that has five convenience stores and he does ok on silver and wheat pennies this way. But that guy is a lodge brother so it is a solid connection.

Thanks for the good comments.

John

All areas are different. some areas have lots of uncharted territory where as other have been drained like mine but I still find stuff because keepers get turned in all the time.

When you buy boxes its like your a fisherman tossing out a net and sometimes you get what your looking for, or you have to toss them all back in.

Quantity is the key. My area is searched out and with tons of competition I still manage to pull lots of silver ea month.

I do 50+ mostly Brinks boxes a month and hope to catch a box with 20 or more once in a while. But 1-3 is the norm it seems lately.

My worst month so far this year was January and I pulled over 100 keepers. divide that by 50 boxes and your looking at 2 keepers per box.

However I had over 300 keepers in march and your looking at an avg. of 6 per box. But its more like 5 skunks with one good box mixed in where you pull 20+ keepers.

So again volume is the key. And if you can find another source that pulls from Loomis or another carrier that will also increase your odds and diversify your searches. But make sure you have another bank that you can dump large quantity's of coin without any fees or hassles.

Mojo

STDevil

Jun 12, 2008
You have to pay to play. Nothing legal and ethical in life is free, with the possible exception of coin roll hunting. I have been in this crazy game for about a year, and have pulled a lot of 90% and 40% out of circulation. I often wish that I started this back in the 80's (when I was in college), but you can't turn back the clock - and I just used this as a reason to start working copper pennies....my poor son will have to deal with several drums of coppers when I am gone, but at least they will be worth face value!!

My "finds" have picked up lately. Maybe the bad economy is forcing more silvers into curculation. Maybe it's just luck. Maybe the gods are smiling on me. All I know is I am still having fun, and the wife puts up with me.

Keep at it. Have fun. Every silver found is a reason to say "yay" - don't forget that.

From Seattle...where there are still a few silvers around.

Scalper

Bronze Member
Jul 18, 2006
Curitiba, Brazil
coinmojo said:

Mojo

Ditto my excellent post Mojo nic job ,Ed

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Fistfulladirt said:
riverguy said:

Well, you might get lucky on the next box, or, you may get a string of 10 or even 50 skunks. I quit months ago for that very reason, I just don't have the determination that some hunters have. I love crh'ing, but its cheaper for me to buy the silver! FFD

I agree FFD. I only get one or two boxes every couple of weeks because there are so many CRHers and subsequent skunk boxes in my area now. It is way more economical for me to buy silver when compared with the time and expense chasing so many skunk boxes. It was not like that for my first 6-7 months as a CRHer, but things change.

I have spent the last month using my extra time from not CRHing to put into my business. It paid off last month in that I was able to make enough extra money to buy a couple of ounces of gold via old AU 20 francs and sovereigns that I got for not much over spot.

Had I kept up with my old CRHing routine I don't think I would have made the extra money working like I did. A few ounces of old world gold coins beats a few 40%ers for me anyday (assuming my finds would have been anything like the last 2 or 3 months had I CRHed this past month).

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread