Upvote 0
OP
OP
coinmojo

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Anyone care to speculate on grades for these coins.

I feel all the Franklins are in mint state

The 41 and 43 walker are near mint the 1918s is in VG the 1917 looks to be VG as well

The Booker T outside of toneing is au to me.

Thanks in advance .....

Mojo

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
:thumbsup: Found some nice stuff there. Love to find coins like that! Sounds about right on the grade.

Maine_Jim

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Awesome finds!

I think the 1917 is better than VG, based on the photo (but there is a glare on the top and no photo of the reverse).

The toning pictured would have almost no impact on what grade the coin receives (AU?). Such toning would be expected in a coin that was never cleaned or dipped. Although I would not recommend this on a Booker T, if you were planning on keeping the coin forever and wanted it looking prettier, you could give it a 5 second dip in a gentle cleaner (I use E Zest) and it would look brand new. I have done this with a couple of old Franklins I found that had the minor toning near the rim and they look great (and still have the "cartwheel effect" when held under a light source).

Jim

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing finds. That 50 cent Canadian is great. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
coinmojo

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
jim4silver said:
Awesome finds!

I think the 1917 is better than VG, based on the photo (but there is a glare on the top and no photo of the reverse).

Jim

Here are a couple of more photos taken outside in some natural lighting

Could be 30 to 50 range?

Attachments

• 1917wloutside.jpg
    1917wloutside.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 325
  • 1917wloutsiderev.jpg
    1917wloutsiderev.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 330
  • pcgs1917.jpg
    pcgs1917.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 329
OP
OP
coinmojo

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Here is the 1918S could it be in the 30 grade range?

Attachments

• 1918swloutside.jpg
    1918swloutside.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 311
  • 1918swloutsiderev.jpg
    1918swloutsiderev.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 308
  • pcgs.jpg
    pcgs.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 317
OP
OP
coinmojo

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
I also found this on the PCGS site and thought I might share.

I never really concern myself with the grading because I rarely find coins in this condition in the wild. So I'm still learning.

Hope this will be helpfull to others as well.

Mojo

Attachments

• pcgs grading standard.jpg
    pcgs grading standard.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 306
  • pcgs grading standard added.jpg
    pcgs grading standard added.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 297

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
coinmojo said:
jim4silver said:
Awesome finds!

Jim

Here are a couple of more photos taken outside in some natural lighting

Could be 30 to 50 range?

That 1917 is from somebody's collection. Look at the feathers on the reverse, they are almost all there perfectly. I would say that coin is a minimum EF.

Walkers were spent a lot back in the day, and the features seem to wear down quite a bit, even on nice coins. So I would bet that 1917 saw not much action in the wild.

Jim

Scalper

Bronze Member
Jul 18, 2006
Curitiba, Brazil
Super finds Mojo , those coins are in super nice shape ... those Walkers are especially hard to find in that condition ... kudos on all those goodies and thanks for posting some super pics ,Ed

OP
OP
coinmojo

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
jim4silver said:
That 1917 is from somebody's collection. Look at the feathers on the reverse, they are almost all there perfectly. I would say that coin is a minimum EF.

Walkers were spent a lot back in the day, and the features seem to wear down quite a bit, even on nice coins. So I would bet that 1917 saw not much action in the wild.

Jim

I agree thees coins have not seen the light of day for quite some time. It's quite exciting coins in this condition coming out of a brinks box. You could say even luckier that they did not get damaged in the wrapping process. and almost as amazing that they made it past tellers. if a teller even saw them. They could have been run through the counter in the lobby of a Credit Union I suppose.

Scalper said:
Super finds Mojo , those coins are in super nice shape ... those Walkers are especially hard to find in that condition ... kudos on all those goodies and thanks for posting some super pics ,Ed

Thanks for sharing in my joy. I seem to be getting better at the photo's.

I noticed a lot of your photo's seem to upload large. I'm not sure what you do to have that happen, but If I might suggest, try placing your coins closer together to use less air space, and you can squeeze more coins in your photos. and try using a black or darker background. I use a black T shirt sometimes.

I also use a freeware program called Printkey that helps me process the photos after I download them from the Camera. It allows me to make a jpeg of my uploaded photos and I can change the size / scale of the photos which in turn reduces the file size.

You might be able to google it and download a copy of this program, it has a lot of nice features in it, and is easy to use.

I found this on google

http://download.cnet.com/PrintKey-Pro/3000-2191_4-10820437.html

Mojo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread