A Little Variety

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I haven't been finding much recently. Today's box had a nice mix: 1967 Kennedy, a 1976-S business strike Silver Kennedy (Needed for album), a 1979-S Type I Proof, 2 2002-P, 4 2002-D, and a 1993 1/2 Balboa.

28MAY09_Total.jpg

Last weeks box had 6 2002s and 1 Magic Coin.

21MAY09_Total.jpg

Here is a shot of my misc machine finds over the last couple weeks.

28MAY09_Misc_Total.jpg

It amazes me the countries that get represented here in the middle of nowhere Wisconsin.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I like the Rand design also. One of the perks of working at a Credit Union, they let me have all the foreign coins (except Canadian) that come in.

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool foreign coins and flat pennies, I used to collect those! :thumbsup:

OmegaMan

Dec 9, 2007
OK, this maybe a stupid question but what is a 1976 s business strike?
I know one is cameo and the other is not but both are silver.
Is the one without cameo a business strike?

OP
OP
F

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
The business strikes are coins minted for circulation. Proof coins are the ones with the cameo effect. In '76 the San Francisco mint put out 3-coin silver sets with the "S" mint mark in both Proof and Business strikes. Same with the silver Ike dollars from 71-74, the business strikes came in blue envelopes and the Proofs came in brown boxes.

The silver business strikes weren't minted for circulation but used the same process as coins that were.

OmegaMan

Dec 9, 2007
Fropa said:
The business strikes are coins minted for circulation. Proof coins are the ones with the cameo effect. In '76 the San Francisco mint put out 3-coin silver sets with the "S" mint mark in both Proof and Business strikes. Same with the silver Ike dollars from 71-74, the business strikes came in blue envelopes and the Proofs came in brown boxes.

The silver business strikes weren't minted for circulation but used the same process as coins that were.
Thank you. I learned something new today.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions