are the 2009 nickels THAT hard to find??

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the mint cut back on '09 production of nicks and dimes, but this is madness! I can't believe people would bid on something without a picture. :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
but there were 39 million made, how can that be considered rare??????

rodzm

Oct 15, 2008
Germany
Hello all,

I know this is madness, and people want to be the first to have something so thats perhaps why its bid up so high. Im sure there are other people out there who have found dimes and nickels but so far none have surfaced on Ebay other than a couple of dimes. Im not the type to post pre-sales or anything of the sort but with firm confirmation from my source I felt pretty comfortable to put my 100%, 315 feedback on the line. Its actually the first time I sell something on Ebay without a picture but in this case time is everything. You have to love it though...its almost like the person who bought the Virgin Mary grilled cheese on Ebay a few years ago.

I know someone who on one day took over 20 trips to banks in the San Franscisco area and there was absolutely nothing to be found. 39 M is not rare by any means as compared to previous years but when your looking at the mintage being 1/10 of what it normally is then its gonna be pretty hard to get them, at least for the next few months

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
So far my wife pulled 1 2009-P dime from a bag and we haven't found any nickels. I've been tempted to list our dime on eBay after seeing what there going for.

rodzm

Oct 15, 2008
Germany
Fropa said:
So far my wife pulled 1 2009-P dime from a bag and we haven't found any nickels. I've been tempted to list our dime on eBay after seeing what there going for.

Do it while theyre hot...it may take a while for more to show up but at least you cash on it now. It seems that people are only finding them randomly as opposed to rolls of them. Very weird I must say

DEMERSON

Dec 17, 2008
Hemet,ca
Detector(s) used
fisher F2
I was under the impression that the mint halted production of 2009 nickles and dimes. never the less 63 million is still a low mintage.

rodzm

Oct 15, 2008
Germany
DEMERSON said:
I was under the impression that the mint halted production of 2009 nickles and dimes. never the less 63 million is still a low mintage.

And they did halt production. I think it is going to be pretty hard to find them and I think for those that do find them it will be mixed in with other coins. Ive heard before that the Fed usually releases new coins after several years so it may or may not be a couple of years before you see them widely circulated. Theyre out there, trust me :wink: the problem is finding them in quantities.

The nickel auction is actually my auction, and yes I do realize there is no picture but I DO some nickels and dimes on the way. Theyve been shipped to me from my source and should arrive this week or early next week

rodzm

Oct 15, 2008
Germany
Ju8vP3t said:
39 million is a lot, But if you look back at prior mintages, the numbers are usually in the hundreds of millions...

If you divide 39 mill by the population of the US it gives you less than 1 nickel per person and when you consider that last year there were 287.76 million minted then yeah by today's standards it is considered rare. By looking at previous mintages from decades ago??? Not so much

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
rodzm said:
Ju8vP3t said:
39 million is a lot, But if you look back at prior mintages, the numbers are usually in the hundreds of millions...

If you divide 39 mill by the population of the US it gives you less than 1 nickel per person and when you consider that last year there were 287.76 million minted then yeah by today's standards it is considered rare. By looking at previous mintages from decades ago??? Not so much

I'd say 13 coins for every 100 Americans is really low.... based on a poupulation of 300 Million.

What if the Chinese start collecting U.S. coins. Than they would be very hard to find....LOL

Mojo

wharghoul

May 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD
"What if the Chinese start collecting U.S. coins. Than they would be very hard to find....LOL" - Mojo

Yeah, they already collect our dollars... :wink:

rodzm

Oct 15, 2008
Germany
Hello everyone...just a quick update on the auction. The nickel has shot up from $51 to $66.99, this is absolutely insane and was not what I expected. For those who have supported the auction by placing on their watch list or by bidding, a BIG thank you.

As a result of such great support I have increased the proceeds to VFW from 10% to 15%. Here is the stats so far

77 Watchers
12 Bids

Thanks again!!!

rodzm

Oct 15, 2008
Germany
Sorry for the back to back post but just a quick update...

Attachments

• !BTtiCFw!mk~$(KGrHgoH-CIEjlLl0nU1BKJ6QEcG8w~~_12.jpg
    !BTtiCFw!mk~$(KGrHgoH-CIEjlLl0nU1BKJ6QEcG8w~~_12.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 499
  • !BTtiCFw!mk~$(KGrHgoH-CIEjlLl0nU1BKJ6QEcG8w~~_12.jpg
    !BTtiCFw!mk~$(KGrHgoH-CIEjlLl0nU1BKJ6QEcG8w~~_12.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 478

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
I don't know but this seems like one of those situations where people are bidding on this 5 cent coin because of the VFW connection.

Maybe it's just me but at this point, don't you think you could donate 25% to the VFW or more.

How about all the profits after shipping and Handling.

I'm sure that if you were just selling the nickle with no charitable connection you could find out how much is due to the VFW connection.

Since it looks like you got a whole roll , why not post another auction without the VFW connection and find out.

Don't get me wrong it is an honerable thing your doing but it seems less honerable when only $11.4 dollars is actually going to be donated. (15% of $76 = 11.4) after S&H I imagine you stand to make a profit over $50 For a Nickle coin?

Random thoughts

Mojo

rodzm

Oct 15, 2008
Germany
coinmojo said:
I don't know but this seems like one of those situations where people are bidding on this 5 cent coin because of the VFW connection.

Maybe it's just me but at this point, don't you think you could donate 25% to the VFW or more.

How about all the profits after shipping and Handling.

I'm sure that if you were just selling the nickle with no charitable connection you could find out how much is due to the VFW connection.

Since it looks like you got a whole roll , why not post another auction without the VFW connection and find out.

Don't get me wrong it is an honerable thing your doing but it seems less honerable when only $11.4 dollars is actually going to be donated. (15% of $76 = 11.4) after S&H I imagine you stand to make a profit over $50 For a Nickle coin?

Random thoughts

Mojo

I didnt expect the turnout on the auction like it has and you know I sort of expected reactions like yours as to why I didnt do a higher percentage on the auction. I do my yearly VFW contributions ,but I also have to help out my dad. I dont need to explain myself further

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread