Vaults on a timer you say...next time Ill get some lunch and return

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Vaults on a timer you say...next time I'll get some lunch and return

I was out searching about six weeks ago when I hit a bank and the teller says they've got $310 in halves in the vault but it is on a timer and will take half an hour. The last time I was in this bank the teller told me she collected all the halves so I'm thinking waist of time. I was on a short schedule so I passed and continued on the road and had a decent day. Flash forward to this week, I've been getting really crappy boxes lately so the other day my mind flashed back to the $310. I call the bank and sure enough they are still there. I tell them I'll be there in half an hour. I'm still thinking waist of time but what the heck...never know and can't be any worse than the six boxes I searched this week for two 40% coins. When I get there sure enough there is the collector teller but she is helping someone else. I can see that she is giving me the eye but luckily another teller helps me and I get the halves. The silver gods were smiling I guess as the first roll had a 40% in it. The next few don't show much but then I get a roll with mint state coins including some 40%. I'm talking mint, looked like someone had just broken them out of the sets. I'm thinking "nice, got grampa's collection here!". The mint state coins kept coming. One roll had the 87p & d along with two perfect 76-s silvers, one was a proof and one was BU plus a bunch of NIFC. The final hit was the 70-d, almost perfect with mirror surface. Ended up with 42 40% and 10 90% plus a bunch of NIFC. Only thing the collection was missing was the rest of the proofs. Too bad as I'm still searching for the 68-s and 69-s - can't seem to get them. All in all a nice hit. Been a little slow this month and haven't done any road trips. The boxes have been pretty spotty lately so I'm thinking I'll need to do road trips in June or start getting my boxes from another district.

Maine_Jim

Upvote 0

Cole317

Greenie
May 5, 2009
Re: Vaults on a timer you say...next time I'll get some lunch and return

Wow congrats, thats a real nice find! :thumbsup:

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan

Nice going Jim.

Leave no stone unturned.

Nice score on the 70D.... That alone made it worth it in my book. And you got to love mint state coins......

Congratulations....... Got pic's?????

Mojo

puckhead

Apr 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500

Nice score. I would have told her I'll wait the first time around. That timer stuff is bs during business hours.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

maine_Jim said:
I was out searching about six weeks ago when I hit a bank and the teller says they've got $310 in halves in the vault..........Flash forward to this week,
Congrats on the find :thumbsup:
That teller had 5 weeks to buy those coins. You snooze you loose! She can only kick herself in the butt for not getting them. From some tellers that I have seen it could be a pretty big target. ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread