Why $11/oz. silver is good for us all...

wharghoul

May 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD
As I type this silver is holding strong in the $15.70/oz. range.

I think this is a bad thing in my own selfish little world, for two reasons:

1) Higher silver prices will only bring more players to the CRH game.
(I know, I'm fairly new at this as well, started in Nov. of last year, so I realize that I'm being a bit hypocritical)

2) At some point, it will be cost effective enough for the collecting/wrapping services to start culling the silver...maybe not now, but would it be worth it for them to employ a small staff and a little technology when the price hits $25/oz.?

What do you guys think, higher silver prices, good or bad for CRH?

Upvote 0

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
I am truly amazed that this is not already implemented.

You could call it a pre-process culling department, and it would surley pay for itself.

Every 1/2 dollar Quarter and Dime would run through this department. And I imagine it would be a profitable department.

Just thankfull this hasn't happend here. But you got to think on a individual Facility basis that if Brinks had a department that did, It would certainly pay for itself.

Maybe I just scripted a job opportunity. :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

Mojo

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008
coinmojo said:

You could call it a pre-process culling department, and it would surley pay for itself.

Every 1/2 dollar Quarter and Dime would run through this department. And I imagine it would be a profitable department.

Just thankfull this hasn't happend here. But you got to think on a individual Facility basis that if Brinks had a department that did, It would certainly pay for itself.

Mojo

It's been said before but in today's world with less and less silver out there, it's just not cost effective. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny: :read2: :read2: :read2: :read2: :read2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
coinmojo said:

Mojo

It would not be cost effective at all. The cost of an employee is greater than many believe. Hourly wage, benefits, insurance (work comp), 1/2 of the employee's FICA taxes, etc. Plus, most courier companies have several facilities across the country, so they would need many employees doing this. You think it is even possible for somebody to sit at a table sorting thru coins? The volume of coins each facility handles would be more than several CRHing employees could cover. It would also take time and get in the way of the sorting and rolling process. Also, they would need to hire someone to watch over the employees to make sure they are not stealing coins as they sift.

I would imagine that the couriers make a lot of revenue simply doing the job they do now. In my opinion they could care less about culling silver. If we call CRHed for the profits, I imagine most would be very dissappointed. It is the excitement of finding that keeps most doing this, not the profit.

The only possible way they could cull that could be remotely worthwhile would be to have a machine do it. But that is not taking place in most areas as people are still finding silver here and there in the boxes.

Jim

OP
OP
wharghoul

wharghoul

May 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD
Like I said, it's probably not feasable at this point, but at $25/oz. it could be. In my mind, I'm not picturing some poor schmoe sitting at a table sorting silver....I picture it being more of an automated process with a guy/girl operating a big machine.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I got back into this hobby the first of 2008. Lots of finds for months. I still say that after time involved, gas costs, etc, for me, it's cheaper and easier to buy the silver. FFD

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I got the inside scoop. The coins are never touched where they are rolled. The machines used to sort,count, roll, etc. costs hundreds of thousand dollars and will never be replaced with machines that can sort silver. It was not worth it when silver was 50 bucks an ounce, and it is certainly not worth it now.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
wharghoul said:
As I type this silver is holding strong in the $15.70/oz. range.

I think this is a bad thing in my own selfish little world, for two reasons:

1) Higher silver prices will only bring more players to the CRH game.
(I know, I'm fairly new at this as well, started in Nov. of last year, so I realize that I'm being a bit hypocritical)

2) At some point, it will be cost effective enough for the collecting/wrapping services to start culling the silver...maybe not now, but would it be worth it for them to employ a small staff and a little technology when the price hits $25/oz.?

What do you guys think, higher silver prices, good or bad for CRH?

Overall, a higher price probably does cause more CRHers to join in. But I still want to see silver, and gold, rise because I have a large position in both (large in proportion to my asset allocation). My CRHing is almost nill now, so as far as that issue is concerned I am not really bothered.

But if gold and silver do go up real high, that probably means the dollar is toast and our economy in general is in the crapper, even worse than it already is.

Jim

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
jim4silver said:
But if gold and silver do go up real high, that probably means the dollar is toast and our economy in general is in the crapper, even worse than it already is.

Jim
And that my friends is the real reason cheap gold and silver is a good thing. Get it while ya can. HH Mark

Ju8vP3t

Rich Hartford said:
I got the inside scoop. The coins are never touched where they are rolled. The machines used to sort,count, roll, etc. costs hundreds of thousand dollars and will never be replaced with machines that can sort silver. It was not worth it when silver was 50 bucks an ounce, and it is certainly not worth it now.

It's always been my opinion that the courier companies don't sort out silver coinage, that's not they're business and I think they do well enough with the services they provide now

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions