1870 Diez Gramos

joad

Apr 15, 2009
East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Well I have been searching 2 boxes a week for about a month now and finally have something worth reporting. Picked the boxes and opened them with head teller to check the count. Silver was staring at me. Broke a roll open to show the head teller why have been buying all these halves. He said he would save any halves for me that look like that one. Anyway, started opening them in traffic on my evening commute. Pulled 2-90's and 10-40's from the first box...finally a that didn't have a slew of shiny 1996es. The second box scored ok as well, producing a very worn 1952 Booker T. Washington/George Washington Carver and an 1870 copper Diez Gramos spanish coin in great condition. Oh and a 63 Ben 2-64's 5-40's and a 1978s clad proof. Lots of ratty coins for once including two holy ones. I have been finding some silver up to this point, but no more than five per box and a few skunks.

Attachments

• lp2box 001.jpg
    lp2box 001.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 2,475
  • spanish coin1.jpg
    spanish coin1.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 3,047
  • spanish coin.jpg
    spanish coin.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 3,202
  • lp2box 001.jpg
    lp2box 001.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 2,468
  • spanish coin1.jpg
    spanish coin1.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 2,570
  • spanish coin.jpg
    spanish coin.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 2,596
Upvote 0

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Diez Gramos. Congrats. :thumbsup:

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver was staring at me. Broke a roll open to show the head teller why have been buying all these halves. He said he would save any halves for me that look like that one

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
joad said:
Broke a roll open to show the head teller why have been buying all these halves.

Congrats on the awesome finds, but NEVER EDUCATE YOUR TELLERS!

I think doing so violates one of Coinmojo's ten commandments of CRHing??

Jim

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
jim4silver said:
joad said:
Broke a roll open to show the head teller why have been buying all these halves.

Jim

True.

OP
OP
joad

joad

Apr 15, 2009
East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
coinmojo said:
jim4silver said:
joad said:

Jim

True.
This teller has been very good to me. He came through with 2 boxes of the formative years pennies. He hounded the hell out of the Armored company.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
coincrazed said:
All right my man. You did the right thing. The tellers aren't allowed to keep things anyway. Don't listen to what those guys said. Good luck on your next box.Hope you find a walking liberty. :thumbsup: - coincrazed

The tellers ARE allowed to keep things. I have been told by tellers who have kept silver dollars and such.

Jim

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
coincrazed said:
All right my man. You did the right thing. The tellers aren't allowed to keep things anyway. Don't listen to what those guys said. Good luck on your next box.Hope you find a walking liberty. :thumbsup: - coincrazed

They maybe can't keep things at your bank. They can save whatever they like at the banks around here.

John

Seagates

Feb 7, 2009
coincrazed, If you are gonna quote at least do it correct, when you are typing your comment type after the last (/quote). It will make reading your posts a little easier - my man.

To OP: Always fun to find a 140 year old coin of Any Country nice coin!

sneak

Oct 24, 2007
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't educate the tellers or anyone else for that matter! I made that mistake when I first started. I was so excited about finding silver I told a few friends and co-workers and a couple of them said "I think I will try that." :( Luckily I think both of them got burned out pretty quickly. Now I just keep my mouth shut! :-X :wink: No need to create more competition in your local area. There is probably enough already!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You have a 1870 Spain copper 10 centimos (100 centimos= 1 Peseta). The obverse shows a Lion standing to the right leaning on a shield, the legend above the beaded border is CIEN PIEZAS EN KILOG. (100 Pieces in a kilogram) and DIEZ CENTIMOS. The reverse shows a seated figure within a beaded border, DIEZ GRAMOS (10 Grams) and the date 1870, is below.

The coin was struck under the Spanish Provisional Government (1868-1871). Approximate Value Range: $1 - $80, depending on grade.

Don........

Source: http://www.coinsite.com/content/cdanswers/cdarchive33.asp

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
My wife works with a gal thats been telling for years. She has a HUGE collection of silver and oldies....pulled from customer transactions. FFD

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I work part time as a teller just to pull coins/bills that I find. As long as everything balances at the end of the day there are no rules preventing it. A couple people including the bank president have large collections of silver they have pulled over the years.

quick-silver

Feb 26, 2009
NY
That is an awesome coin, way to go!

And I have told a teller that has been very kind to me about how to spot silver edges. She dosen't keep them but rather gives them to me. Just this past Saturday she handed me a 57D quarter out of her till. Its really a double-edged sword, do so at your own risk.

OP
OP
joad

joad

Apr 15, 2009
East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
sneak said:
Don't educate the tellers or anyone else for that matter! I made that mistake when I first started. I was so excited about finding silver I told a few friends and co-workers and a couple of them said "I think I will try that." :( Luckily I think both of them got burned out pretty quickly. Now I just keep my mouth shut! :-X :wink: No need to create more competition in your local area. There is probably enough already!

I don't tell everyone I see. Just the one teller that treated me very well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions