1 year to get an open bag of halves

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
About a year ago I opened an account at a local 1 branch bank to buy their halves. At the time I asked if they could order me halves and they said they would but they would be in bags not boxes. I said great, order me a bag. Went in the following week and was told they wouldn't order bags because of the cost, bait and switch?. I wasn't happy but couldn't close the account without a penalty for 6 months. Well, they did a complete remodel this winter so I decided I'd ask again about ordering halves when the remodel was done. Went in about 2 months ago and they said they would order me a bag of halves but it would take a couple weeks. Went in 2 weeks later and was told their source didn't have any halves but would deliver a bag once they got one, I'd get a call when it came in. 6 weeks go by with no call so today I went in and asked about the halves and they had them. Allot of talking between several tellers and I was told someone else had come in and asked for halves so they opened the bag and gave him $40 worth. >:( They scrounged another rolls of halves together and said they had $970 total. As much as I wanted to express my displeasure with the situation, I was nice and bought what they offered me since it was my first bag from them. The bag was a clear plastic bag that banks use to send coin out. It was picked up by Brinks on 4-28-09. It had a sticker on it that said:

FEDERAL RESERVE BANK OF CHICAGO
49.56 lb
HALF $ ACCEPTED
04/30/2009 10:28
BRINK'S-city name

I would have thought Brinks would have had to recount it and roll it before delivering it to another bank. On the way out to my car I noticed a few dollar coins in the bag. The bag only had $912 in halves, but also included 115 dollar coins, 37 quarters, and 6 dimes. Overall I came out $66.85 ahead in the deal, but only 1 1964-D for silver. Also found 1 87-P, 1 2002-P, 2 2008-D, and a magic coin.

4JUN09_Half_Total.jpg

Did someone scam the silver ahead of me or did they just hand out $40 off the top to somebody? I'll never know. Next time I order I'll ask them not to open the bag and call me when it comes in. I'll also check weekly with them until I get it.

Earlier in the week I did a $25 bag of cents, a $1,000 bag of dimes, and stopped at another bank I ask for halves at about 4 times a year. This time they had $807.50 in halves (1 full box, $300 in a partial box, and $7.50 in their counting machine), SKUNK. I also asked if they had any 2009 coins. They had rolls of Harrison and Tyler dollars (got 1 of each) and also had rolls of Birthplace cents (P Mint) so bought 4 rolls. They are going to ask their supplier if they can get the second cents.

1JUN09_Cent_Total.jpg

I found 2 2009-D birthplace cents in the bag along with 9 Wheats, 7 Canadian, and 3 dimes.

The dimes produced 6 silver, 1 2001-S Proof, 8 Canadian, and a gold plated 76-D.

2JUN09_Dime_Total.jpg

Upvote 0

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can say is wow! Free money is always legit, especially while CRH. I get a kick out of a dime in a penny roll. haha. Congrats on your variety, although I have never seen something to this much extent on CRH. :notworthy:

joad

Apr 15, 2009
East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
One of my dump banks uses the "bag machines" and the other day a teller stops me as I am starting to pour my halves in and says "are those halves. I have a customer who wants the bag when it's full". I said it will be full shortly since I had $1200. I helped her remove the full bag of $1000 and even rolled it around on the floor to see if I saw anything. I have been dumping here for a few weeks, so I doubt there was much in there. Anyway I continued and filled a second bag with $1018. The teller said she won't even count the bag cause the machine stops filling at 1k. I'm thinking geez I'll just buy that bag back and make $18, but no. Every other branch of this bank tells me they can't sell me the coin counter bags for this reason. "corporate says we can't". I opened a box a few weeks ago and one roll had a gold dollar coin on the end. I ended up finding 2 more in the box as well. Anyway, nice score on the overfill!

OP
OP
F

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Thanks everybody. It is nice to know the shortages and foreign coins can be balanced out with the occasional overage.

50centman

Feb 25, 2008
Fropa,
All they do is weigh the bag and if it weighs between 491/2 and 50 pounds it is approved. If incorrect it gets sent back to the bank. Usually there is identification on the bag telling which bank it is from. Brinks charges about 25$ to move each bag, even if it's pennies. There is big money in moving bags around. They probably made 50$ for throwing it in and out of the truck a couple of times. Bags are allways a crap shoot and usually a few bucks low. You lucked out being over. The tellers just missed one silver, they usually do. Good luck to you on your search. It's all random.

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
wow i learned something. i been crh chi town over 25 yrs.

i never seen any sticker bags like this

seen em from brinks

UNITED ARMORED SERVICES is the de facto FED

as far as i knew once coin reaches the FED. it get rolled

cant imagine a bag being ACCEPTED and going out without being rolled.

maybe with halves SO HOT. they r low on wrappers

i got 5k ordered for thurs. wonder if it will be bags.

hope not.usually they r short.not over.

cant imagine how the carrier is willing to ACCEPT on a half pound short
they must get reimbursed a set amount for each pound they are short.

r u willing to tell which brinks this came from.inticed u left the city blank. i dump in central il and am wondering how much actually gets sent back to chgo anyway

OP
OP
F

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
The bag was from SE Wisconsin. If a teller at the bank searched the bag for silver and only missed 1, why wouldn't they have bought the dollar coins for 50 cents each? The dollar coins were very easy to see through the bag, my wife noticed them as I walked passed the car to put the bag in the trunk. That's the only thing that makes me think they may have just sold $40 worth to another person. I'm going to ask them to order me another bag and ask them not to open it before I buy it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread