Kennedy bicentennial half dollar question

riverguy

May 23, 2009
I went through about 40 rolls of kennedy half dollars. I am finding about 1-4 bicentennial half dollars per roll.

My neighbor who has a huge collection of wheats (over 150,000) said he would buy all the kennedy bicentennial's from me.

Hmmm, what is the deal her. I see some selling for a slight profit on ebay in the shipping hand handling of say $5.00 per roll.

Am I missing something here? Are they worth culling out and saving? I know the pre-1970 are worth saving, but am not sure on the bicentennials.

Thanks for any input.

Upvote 0

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
How much were you offered for the bicentennials? The S mints can be silver and there is a cud error that can bring some profit but other than that I can not see any value above 50 cents.

Golden Silver

OP
OP
R

riverguy

May 23, 2009
My wheat penny collecting neighbor wants to buy them at face value. That is fine with me, maybe he knows something or he just wants to save them for the future. He knows that I am going thru several boxes of kennedys in hopes of finding silver. So far no silver, but from what I have been told by other successful roll hunters on this forum that it is a volume game. I am not ready to give up yet, bought $300 in pennies and dimes today. But if I don't get something, then I am wondering if Brinks here in Atlanta is going through them? But that seems very improbable due to the huge volume they go through.

I also am wondering if the fact that I live in North Atlanta where the homes are expensive, maybe I should go to a branch on the southside of town where it may be more likely that people are turning in spare change to the bank due to harder times. Any thoughts on this idea would be welcome.

Ifyndit

Dec 15, 2007
The Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Corte's, Golden Sabre II, Minelab X-Terra50
Look for these cud errors on the reverse or see if there is an "s" mintmark and silver. If no cud error or s mintmark go ahead and sell them to her. Before too long she won't want any more from you because you will have found hundreds of them! One less trip to the bank for you too!

Attachments

• DSC00900.JPG
    DSC00900.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 339
  • DSC01765.JPG
    DSC01765.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 370
  • DSC00900.JPG
    DSC00900.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 302
  • DSC01765.JPG
    DSC01765.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 307

Seagates

Feb 7, 2009
Yeah unless they are an error or An S mint mark I would say go ahead and sell to your neighbor until they run out of money.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seagates said:
Yeah unless they are an error or An S mint mark I would say go ahead and sell to your neighbor until they run out of money.
Which they will. :laughing7:

OmegaMan

Dec 9, 2007
Yeah sell them to him. The area does not matter.
Rich or poor they will all even out on silver. Just my experience.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
As for the Atlanta area.... I have heard that that is a very tough area to find silver. In fact someone on this forum went on a business trip down there and did some coin roll hunting If I can recall the results were so so. Oddly I have only had mediocre success when on road trips south of VA. I have been as far south as South Carolina with minimal results. I had some good days on Roanoke island NC and in Edenton but other than that not much. I think southerners know their stuff about old coins and metal detecting and that is the reason you may not find as much. Also, a thought is that you are in a highly populated area and most likely not virgin territory. In other words many have walked your same path before. Your best bet is to get away from the city or order boxes that come from somewhere else. Good luck.

Golden Silver

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trade her wheats for them.........

Top Member Reactions