Upvote 0

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
excuse me sir, since I helped pay for it can I either see a side shot or at least get a ride

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
coolpix9 said:
That's right boys and girls I have done it. I took all of my halves and dimes and had them smelted into something useful. The work took almost 3 weeks but I think it was worth every penny. HH and Best Wishes to All, Jim
Before the pic loaded I didnt realize this was a joke and I thought "oh no, the FBI is going to arrest this guy!", as destroying money is a federal crime and all, heh. What a relief that your real meaning was buying a car, hah! Cool deal, man!

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
EpsilonMinus said:
coolpix9 said:
That's right boys and girls I have done it. I took all of my halves and dimes and had them smelted into something useful. The work took almost 3 weeks but I think it was worth every penny. HH and Best Wishes to All, Jim
Before the pic loaded I didnt realize this was a joke and I thought "oh no, the FBI is going to arrest this guy!", as destroying money is a federal crime and all, heh. What a relief that your real meaning was buying a car, hah! Cool deal, man!

Actually, I believe that it is legal to melt silver US coins. It is the pennies and nickels that are illegal to melt. I have heard of coin dealers sending junk bags of silver coins to the smelter.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Jim

puckhead

Apr 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Silver US coinage is OK to melt, its the other stuff that can get you in trouble.

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
jim4silver said:
EpsilonMinus said:
coolpix9 said:

Actually, I believe that it is legal to melt silver US coins. It is the pennies and nickels that are illegal to melt. I have heard of coin dealers sending junk bags of silver coins to the smelter.

Jim

I thought I saw something last week or so about silver coins, but all I found in the last 5 minutes of searching was this:

http://www.usmint.gov/pressroom/index.cfm?action=press_release&ID=724

I like how they say, referring to to pennies, that they are worried about there not being enough in circulation, as if the world doesn't have trillions of extra, worthless, pennies as it is. That's rich. (no pun intended)

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
EpsilonMinus said:
jim4silver said:
EpsilonMinus said:
coolpix9 said:

Jim

I thought I saw something last week or so about silver coins, but all I found in the last 5 minutes of searching was this:

http://www.usmint.gov/pressroom/index.cfm?action=press_release&ID=724

I like how they say, referring to to pennies, that they are worried about there not being enough in circulation, as if the world doesn't have trillions of extra, worthless, pennies as it is. That's rich. (no pun intended)

The penny and nickel melt ban came out not too long ago when the price of copper and nickel made the value of the coins more due to their metal content than face value.

I believe that melting silver coins was illegal for a time in the late 60s or so, but that the ban was lifted sometime thereafter. I have heard that a lot of old silver dollars and other silver coins were melted down in the last big silver price run up in the early 80s.

Jim

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
coolpix9 said:

Is that a Mustang?

rsc

Mar 6, 2005
Noth of Houston
WOW ...Jim.....Nice.... Does this mean you are retiring? Redistributing your assets? Or just replacing the van? Or just able to run the roads faster???? HH Gayle

Pipster

Mar 8, 2007
denver
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, vision v3i,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wait i thought the ban on copper pennies was on all if i read this article right it said only
"melting, or treatment of one-cent coins between 1974 and 1978."
does this mean 59-74 and 78-82 are legal to smelt?

OP
OP
coolpix9

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
It's an Audi A8 that was chromed for a Saudi Prince. J

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
coolpix9 said:
It's an Audi A8 that was chromed for a Saudi Prince. J
So now you think your a Saudi Prince, haha? You retired guys just have too much time on your hands- better buy some more bags. HH Mark

OP
OP
coolpix9

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Mark, I have finally located some more bags. I guess I will have to melt a bumper for some more stash. HH Jim

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How did you sell your silver coins? Ebay? Forum? Coin Dealer?

OP
OP
coolpix9

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
The whole story is a joke. I haven't sold anything yet. J

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
I think you should make something really useful- bet the misses would like to have a .999 fine silver claw foot bathtub, think of all the medicinal benefits. Good luck with them bags Jim. HH Mark

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions