Detector(s) used
E Trac
Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
davew0710 said:
Is this really a worthwhile way to find silver versus the amount of time spent searching?
Thanks for the responses.

No. A true CRH'er is not about amassing a pile of silver in a short time. It really is about the thrill of the hunt and seeing the silver in the roll. Sure a nice pile to reward the efforts is the ultimate goal, but a true CRH'er will endure box after box of skunks only for the hope of spotting the gleam of silver. When you factor in the cost of gas and your time to pick up, search, and dump, there isn't a lot to be made. If all you are after is silver, then get up early and prey on the ebay auctions that go off at 5-6 am. I scored 10 American Eagles the other day at about $12/ounce.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Thrilla tha hunt....I didn't find much, if any silver halves after a year of hunting. Way too time consuming and costly. Found it is cheaper and easier for me to buy silver, (thru e-bait). Others opinions may differ. Good luck! FFD

Ju8vP3t

It's my opinion you won't strike it rich CRHing, more of a distraction or hobby, so when you do find silver, it's like a reward, otherwise don't think you're going to go out and collect up a lot of face value silver

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So let me see if I understand you correctly. You think people just drive around to banks buy boxes and rolls of coins pull the silver and copper content out for hundred or thousands of $$$$$$.

Wow that is an incredible concept!! I wish it were true. If it were true, I know somebody that would be driving a chrome Audi.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but seriously if it were that easy, a caveman, I mean everybody would be doing it including some very wealthy people.

It does take a large volume of coins to produce a small amount of silver. Somtimes tens of thousands of dollars of coins to see evena single silver coin.

Most of the people around here do it for the thrill. 'Cause if you're in this for the money...LJ got it all.

With that said...Welcome to our little world. Be kind to your tellers

PD

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
davew0710 said:
I recently got my first box of halves and a box of dimes. So far, nothing older than 71 in the halves. I am curious about the rate of finds per the amount of boxes searched. Is this really a worthwhile way to find silver versus the amount of time spent searching?

No.

Jim

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your not gonna find silver everytime, just look at my signature below - my finds verses the amount of money searched. :icon_pirat:

This isn't a get rich scheme that only a few know about, yes you can make some money but it takes time and patience and you have to do a high volume on a regular biases. I'm not saying that you can't get lucky and find a small bank that some old lady turned in her husbands collection (it has happened before), but chances are that you are gonna put a lot of miles on your car and spend a lot of time to get your pile of silver. Its just a hobby, enjoy the hunt & have fun with it. :thumbsup:

capy325

Apr 9, 2008
jim4silver said:
davew0710 said:
I recently got my first box of halves and a box of dimes. So far, nothing older than 71 in the halves. I am curious about the rate of finds per the amount of boxes searched. Is this really a worthwhile way to find silver versus the amount of time spent searching?

No.

Jim
Nuff said.

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
The glory days are over. I've even thought of salting my own bags LOL. HH Mark
BTW though persistance will pay you some silver, but......to my knowledge there is no 12 step program to get off this addiction so don't get hooked if your gonna wanna quit.

OP
OP
davew0710

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac
I stopped by the bnk today trying to get enough wrappers to rewrap my $500.00 in halves. The banker said bring em in loose and use the counting machine, NO CHARGE. Trying to wrap that many coins was driving me nuts and would have been a stopper for me.
The banker told me she had $220.00 in halves in the bank. I took those home and got 5 piece of 40% silvers. I didn't score a thing from the $500.00. CRS might be a good way to spend a rainy night.
Now, on to the dimes!

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
davew0710 said:
---------use the counting machine, NO CHARGE.-------

This little tid bit is what prevented me from quitting early on. Now that you know about this little tool "You are hooked".

Booowhaaa haaaa haaaa.......

Mojo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread