cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This Saturday I did my usual garage sale hunting. I know this is a CRH board but bear with me.

I always ask if the seller has "any old coins or jewelry" even if I do not see any on a table. Well I did this and a lady said I do have some inside but "I am planning on taking them to a coin store to sell them" I offered to look at them and make an offer. I also told her if there were any valuable BU coins I would not want those because I could not afford them. She thought about it and brought out a box of simi-modern silver. (middle 40's to 1969 JFKs)

I went through all and made an offer and she accepted. ;D During my counting time we talked. Turns out she works at a bank (she didn't say which one) and she is well aware of CRHing. I never used those words. Her father worked at a bank and so did her grandfather.

The coins were CRH found coins. Her father died a while back and later she was going through all his stuff and found these coins. She knew he brought silver coins home from his bank and as a younger girl she could remember her father bringing home rolls of coins to look at. She never knew what he was doing back then.

I mentioned that I have found silver at my banks but not much lately. She said yes, at her bank her "girls" pull most of it for themselves. :'(

Upvote 0

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
As more and more people CRH, it means more and more tellers are learning what it means to pull silver. That only makes sense.

And as the silver is culled, more areas will become so unproductive that it is not worth doing anymore. Yes there will always be new silver hitting the market, but that too is less and less as time goes on, as now the 1980's are "Coins from a long time ago", whereas before if people had coins for a while they dated back to the 60s. And as we find more, the excess is removed.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
So what did you get Dan?

Two weeks ago an elderly gentleman in his 50's came into my Garage sale and asked if I had any old coins that I would like to sell, and I hemmed and hawed ,,, and said I think I might have something Why how much are you willing to pay? and he said like 3 x face...... And I said or for the 40% JFK's he had this look on his face like he just realized that I knew he was lowballing me but still said 3x face for older coins.........

So I gave him my best look of disgust and said no I don't have anything like that. And thanks for stopping by........ I guess that's no different than those immigrants trying to buy my kids name brand clothing for a quarter.

I gotta tell you I have finally experienced what nickle a dime truly means.

Mojo

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coinmojo said:
>So what did you get Dan?
>and he said like 3 x face
Over $100 face and I paid a lot more than 3X, I would not have the nerve to go 3X.
I will be putting it up for sale here and on realcent pretty soon. Bought it Saturday at fridays price, silver went down monday. I need to make some kind of profit.

All offers considered. ;D

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
yEAH you all are right. Less and less silver out there. Why don't y'all give up and clean up what is left?

Golden Silver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread