Fab day at the B of A!!

STDevil

Jun 12, 2008
Stopped by the Local B of A to get some cash and coin. I actually thought about going to the cash machine (as I was starting to feel a little weary of CRH), but decided to go in anyway. The Merchant Teller waved me over, saying she had a lot of halves. She brought up 13 rolls ā€“ they were $10 rolls that were overfilled. I thought, ā€œGreat- Someoneā€™s Dumpsā€, but decided to take them anyway to keep the relations good with this great teller.

She handed them to me, noticed the rolls were overfilled, and said we better count them. I picked one up, noticed a silver on the end (the rolls would not close up), and thought ā€œWait, this may be the proverbial ā€˜Some old person brought their change can inā€™ situation.ā€. When I opened the roll up, I noticed $15 in coin, most of which was silver. The teller goes to talk to one of the managers to explain that they shorted ā€œBeaā€, because they only gave her $10 per roll. The manager says, ā€œNo problem, she comes in all the timeā€¦isā€™nt she sweet? Weā€™ll just credit her account.ā€. The Manager then says that I will probably find some oldies in my rolls, because she pulled several old ones from the loose coins that came with the rolls. She then produced about 10 Bens and Walkers for my viewing. I knew I had a score at that point. The manager then said the lady also brought in a lot of dime and quarter rolls, and the Merchant Teller even let me look through a few! There were no silvers in those rollsā€¦I probably should have bought them to check them all, but I just wanted to get out with the halves.

So, in the end, out of $195 (390 halves), I ended up with:

10 SOLID rolls (I guess I opened one of the non-solids at the bank).

154 90% (I have found a total of 149 in the last 15 months of CRH, so this doubled my pile)
190 40%
1 1964 Canadian ā€“ the little guy wanted this, so he got it.

The roughly $22 worth of clad went into the little guyā€™s piggy bank.

What a great experience! I have been reading all of the dream box/roll posts with envy, and even though I had a close encounter last summer, I still wanted to hit the mother lode. Well, now I hit it! I will probably retire from CRH at some point in the future, and when I do, I will do so with the knowledge that I had my 15 minutes in the sun!

Maybe LJ's plan of getting back into CRH scared the silver out of people's hoards, and back into circulation...

Happy hunting!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

STDevil

Jun 12, 2008
I thought about offering her $5 each for them, but decided not to when she pulled up coinflation, and showed me what they were worth.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
coinmojo said:
I have heard that "no good deed goes unpunished", but what exactly does that mean?

Mojo

It means when you go out of your way to do something nice for someone that you don't have to do, and whatever it is you agree to do winds up being a huge pain in the a$$ or causes some other problem that would not have occurred to you had you not done the "good deed" in the first place.

A good example might be where I agree to do work for somebody, and knowing they are down on their luck, maybe I will give them a big price break. Usually that situation winds up being the most difficult, time consuming and involves other difficult issues that were unforseen when I agreed to do the "good deed" in the first place.

It does not happen all the time, but enough to make the saying generally true.

Jim

Ju8vP3t

Fantastic Score ..!!!! I'm still waiting to find a "Solid Roll", talking about doing good deeds, a month or so ago I did send Pizza over to one of my fairly new "Order" Banks, over the course of a couple months, I've gotten about $500 worth of silver from the boxes I ordered there, I figured $25 in pizza would make'em feel good, made me feel good too.... :thumbsup: my last pick-up there, my teller friend said "I've also got 10 rolls a customer brought in, I thought it may be dumps, but then I thought, just 10 rolls? probably wouldn't be a dump, turns out I got about 6-8 40%er's out of 'em, so that was good

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jim4silver said:
It means when you go out of your way to do something nice for someone that you don't have to do, and whatever it is you agree to do winds up being a huge pain in the a$$ or causes some other problem that would not have occurred to you had you not done the "good deed" in the first place.
Yes, someone I know tells this story, he was going into a high end Italian restaurant and this homeless guy asks for money to buy food. He told him if he was still here when he was done he would bring him out some Italian food to go. Sure enough when he left the guy was there and he was given a big container of Italian food. The guy looks at it and says "WHAT NO GARLIC BREAD?" :dontknow:

That is the last time this guy did anything for anyone.

OP
OP
S

STDevil

Jun 12, 2008
Brian,

I got a pretty good pile of 64s, but I ended up with more Bens (mostly from the 50s). I got one 1917 Walker, plus a few other walkers.

The 40% were all from 65 to 69, but many of them appeared to be uncirculated. I think I am going to figure out how to sell off the 40%, and turn it into 90% or some gold.

I am soo enjoying my 15 minutes. I may hit a few banks this weekend...

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG!!!! Needless to say, that is a FANTASTIC haul. I know you had fun going through those.....ha! I think I would have had a ball just watching you go through them.....lol. WAHOOOOOOOO..............

I love reading/seeing hits like this. These are the ones that make you feel like all of the time, effort and planning put into this hobby makes it worthwhile. The reward!!

Congrats on such a bigtime pull. Thanks for the picture too.....love it!

CONGRATS CONGRATS CONGRATS COINGRATS CONGRATS CONGRATS CONGRATS CONGRATS

OP
OP
S

STDevil

Jun 12, 2008
Now I have truely achieved nirvana. Not only did I find a bunch-O-silver, but I got the LJ Seal of Approval!!!!!

I was driving between offices today, and stopped at a pawn shop. They had 11 silver quarters, and they were asking $1.49 each. Scooped 'em up! The lucky streak continues!

:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread