Bank Mentioned the "F" Word Today!

FL Junkman

Feb 13, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70 and Silver U-Max
Bank Mentioned the "F" Word Today!

Went into my bank today to pick up the ususal two bags, which I do every Thursday afternoon. The teller said she didn't know if I wanted to continue getting halves from them as the decision makers had issued a new fee schedule and one of the new fees involve ordering coins for customers. The fee going forward for this service will be .10 per roll or $5.00 per bag. So this is going to cost me $10.00 each week if I continue to do business with this bank which is where we have our primary household checking account. My initial reaction, which I relayed to the teller just in case she has an opportunity to pass it on to anyone in the decision making process was that they were forcing me to close out the checking account and taking my business elsewhere. This is a nice teller and I wouldn't want to hurt her feelings in any manner. She said she was going to talk with someone there in the branch about this and see if they could make an exception. We'll see by next week.

Now that I've had a little more time to think about this, it seems the better thing to do if the fee cannot be waived, is to take the household business to another bank which will order halves and leave the minimum here and Dump, Dump, Dump. What do yall think? HH

FL Junkman

Upvote 0

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Bank Mentioned the "F" Word Today!

I think you have nailed it. You have diplomatically laid it out on the line and now the ball is in their court. That is exactly what I would do if I were in that situation as well. I wish you all the luck. Keep us posted on the final outcome on this issue.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008

Last week when I went to a bank that has CWI rolls, I was told that they were starting a 3.00 per box fee. They don't even have a big CRHing base of customers. The branch I go to is the main one here, and if any of the other branches order boxes, they come from the main branch first. I would say 90% of the time I was the one that got the two boxes they ordered a couple of times per month (I only went to the main branch).

I never had them specifically order for me, since I was getting orders from a bank that uses Brinks. I would go to this bank when I was in the area a couple of times per month and take the two boxes they had. I would say that only once or twice when I stopped in they said they had to send the two boxes to one of their branches because somebody wanted them.

I actually have an account there, so I will probably cancel it soon. I only opened it for CRHing purposes when I first started out CRHIng.

I asked the teller if they were getting charged more by the armored car company because of the two boxes of halves every other week or so and she said yes. I don't believe her in that I have other banks that will order me 4 boxes per week if I want with no charge (I could probably get more but never tried). I think they are trying to cash in on the new craze (new in that the amount of CRHers seem to be growing exponentially).

I think all banks will charge fees eventually. I am glad I did good in this game in the past, because now the finds are lousy here and the banks want fees.

Jim

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

If you are making a good haul from that bank, why not pay the fee? Big deal....if not, then move on. ( "haul", as in any finds that exceed said fee in the form of profit.) ffd

cmhoose

May 2, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett

If they insist on fees: Pour it on 'em!

Attachments

• dump truck.jpg
    dump truck.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 318

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008

Fistfulladirt said:
If you are making a good haul from that bank, why not pay the fee? Big deal....if not, then move on. ( "haul", as in any finds that exceed said fee in the form of profit.) ffd

That's a big IF FFD. Imagine how dumb you would feel paying the fee and then getting skunked to boot. It has happened to me. Yes, one bank here has charged 5 bucks per box for a long time. I generally avoided them, but they always had 5-10 boxes in stock. When I was really "fiending" for boxes of halves I paid before. Sometimes I came out ahead, but later on it was always a loss. I would never pay for boxes ever again. Having that experience is what got me on the 12 steps to quitting CRHing to begin with. I have not bought a box in almost 2 weeks. ;D And before that it was about 2 weeks, and before that the same.

I have put the extra time I have into my business and have made more money, so I have been buying gold and silver with the money I would not have had if I kept spending so much time chasing halves.

I do miss the good ole' days though.

Jim

STDevil

Jun 12, 2008

Do you really need to turn them into your dump bank due to a business decision on their part? Why not just leave them be?

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

jim4silver said:
Fistfulladirt said:

That's a big IF FFD. Imagine how dumb you would feel paying the fee and then getting skunked to boot. It has happened to me. Yes, one bank here has charged 5 bucks per box for a long time. I generally avoided them, but they always had 5-10 boxes in stock. When I was really "fiending" for boxes of halves I paid before. Sometimes I came out ahead, but later on it was always a loss. I would never pay for boxes ever again. Having that experience is what got me on the 12 steps to quitting CRHing to begin with. I have not bought a box in almost 2 weeks. ;D And before that it was about 2 weeks, and before that the same.

I have put the extra time I have into my business and have made more money, so I have been buying gold and silver with the money I would not have had if I kept spending so much time chasing halves.

I do miss the good ole' days though.

Jim
I hear ya, Jim. I was getting skunked too much without any fees anyway!

dunc

Apr 7, 2009
copperopolis ca.

I actually use my primary bank as my dump bank. I have a lot of money there (for my business, not really mine) and they give me no hassle. Besides, they never have any halves besides the ones I give them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions