Need guidance from the seasoned.

JJTheisen

Apr 19, 2009
USAF
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Ok ladies and gents, I called to three different coin dealers today to get estimates on sellin some of my silver halves. The range for 40s was .85 -1.00 and the 90s were 4.00- 4.70 . Can someone please tell me if this is getting ripped off, because i know there is no way i will get melt for them and I know these dealers sell to brokers in bulk, but the prices on the 40s seems really low. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated again. I am selling only to turn around and pour it back into more CRHING. Thanks ahead of time and hope everyone has had a great week.

JJ :coffee2:

Upvote 0

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
JJTheisen said:
Ok ladies and gents, I called to three different coin dealers today to get estimates on sellin some of my silver halves. The range for 40s was .85 -1.00 and the 90s were 4.00- 4.70 . Can someone please tell me if this is getting ripped off, because i know there is no way i will get melt for them and I know these dealers sell to brokers in bulk, but the prices on the 40s seems really low. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated again. I am selling only to turn around and pour it back into more CRHING. Thanks ahead of time and hope everyone has had a great week.

Yeup, they will be makin big bucks off you if you sell that cheap; you need to hunt out better prices, of course if yo sell to dealers they will not pay as much as someone who wants them. I am always on look out for those who will pay more, worst quote had yet was $1.10 for my %40 ain't got quotes on the %90 as plan to hold for good while- but ain't ready to sell anything right now, my thought waswhen Silver hits $20 again- sell some, maybe %25. Am up too over 1400 %40'ers now and 86 %90's.
Dont for get 7 %40's make an ounce, at a $1 a piece that is less than 1/2 today's Spot price! :tongue3:
Don't be in hurry to sell, it will cost ya!

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
Most times dealers will offer more the more you have also... say you are trying to sell (100) 40%ers and they offer $1, but if you have 500 or 1000 they usually offer more. That is the way local dealers are, they gotta rip you off just because they can. There is a classified section here at TNet, there is one at realcent, and others but that involves shipping and the best way I found to ship was flatrate boxes where you would want to have alot of coins to ship. HH Mark

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
I posted on the Tnet classifieds a $1000 bag of 40% coins and didn't have a single offer. I didn't even post a low bid, so I would have even considered low-ball offers but didn't get a single one.

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JJ - those offers are low....especially the 40%. I agree with Mark about the quantity issue as well. If you not in need of immediate cash, you may want to hold on to them a bit. I am sure you will get a better offer than what those dealers offered eventually.

Good luck.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Just wait until silver goes up again. It will but you will have to wait a while.

Golden Silver

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
JJTheisen said:
coinmojo said:
Check out Kitco on the web or Bullon Direct or others. Or maybe sell them on eBay.

Kitco is paying $3.45 per face Dollar for 40%'s today or should I say $1.725 per half dollar

https://online.kitco.com/refining/index_refine.html

Mojo

VERY much appreciated. Thank you all for the comments!

It only takes a few minutes of time to set up an account with one of these outfits, and you don't need to be a business.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
DrDetector said:
I posted on the Tnet classifieds a $1000 bag of 40% coins and didn't have a single offer. I didn't even post a low bid, so I would have even considered low-ball offers but didn't get a single one.
Might have been better to break them up into $100 lots; $1k bag is a lot of coin. ffd

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Fistfulladirt said:
DrDetector said:
Might have been better to break them up into $100 lots; $1k bag is a lot of coin. ffd

I thought about doing that but typically you will get more from a dealer if you have a full bag.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
coincrazed said:
My man,that's a rip off.Sell them on craigslist.Dealers are unbelievably bloodsucking.Good luck. - coincrazed

Not true everywhere. The dealers I buy and sell from/to are pretty decent. The pay enough so that it is not worth it to deal with strangers via craiglist, or hassle with ebay.

Jim

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008
jim4silver said:
coincrazed said:
My man,that's a rip off.Sell them on craigslist.Dealers are unbelievably bloodsucking.Good luck. - coincrazed

Not true everywhere. The dealers I buy and sell from/to are pretty decent. The pay enough so that it is not worth it to deal with strangers via craiglist, or hassle with ebay.

Jim

Same. My coin dealer is awesome! He sells to ME off the grey sheet! =P HH :icon_thumright: :headbang: :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread