collectable question

dunc

Apr 7, 2009
copperopolis ca.
I know next to nothing about the value of coins outside of gold and silver values. I crh for sliver and only silver. Well when I picked up my last haul there were 3 $20.00 rolls of halves all marked something specific. One roll was all 1971-d halves which I have found aren't very valuable and one roll was all toned post 65 halves.

The tonage went from very mild on some to mild on others and my question is are they worth anything more than .50?

Upvote 0

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
1965-1970 are 40% silver and worth about 1.50-2.00 a piece. Some 1976 with an S mint stamp are 40% silver as well.

Golden Silver

OP
OP
D

dunc

Apr 7, 2009
copperopolis ca.
Sorry if my question wasn't clear, but what I was trying to ask is, are the toned coins worth anything more than face value assuming they aren't rare or silver?

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The toning itself won't add any value to your common coins. You mentioned in your question about post 65 halves. Unlike dimes and quarters, the half was minted in 40% silver from 1965-1970 and are worth more then face value for their silver content alone.The toning doesn't add any additional value.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
One thing is for sure you will not get even near Spot for your Silver content, unless you find a buyer who wants Silver as ALL dealers I have found offer anywhere from 1/2 Spot to around $2-3 below spot if you are lucky.

Even those big outfits by time you pay shipping & insurance don't pay too good at all then they sell for premium over Spot what they paid you way below Spot for.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread