Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not done much with half dollars, as there is way too many CRHers here in the North Texas area, and I am getting tired of the extremely meager finds. I did pick up a couple of boxes of nickels to look thru as it was too hot to get out and do much else. I finally found my 100th war nickel, along with numbers 101 thru 103. Amazingly I also found 14 buffalo nickels, 8 with full or partial dates, and 6 slicks. One of the slicks I knew was a 1913 from the reverse mound, and the mint mark area had good detail, so I know it is a 1913 plain. This makes the second of these I have found. I wish I would have picked up more boxes now, as the buffs were pretty well dispersed thru the rolls. As soon as I get a chance I am going to start acid treating my slicks, to see what kind of an acid treated set I can put together. May get lucky and find a key date. Even if it is acid treated a key date will still command a little bit of a premium.

Upvote 0

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
I agree, nic a date the slicks. I'm going to try and put together a set with the nic a date keys (I have a sack of no date buffs). Keep us posted on your progress.

JasonB

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Hey, do you think either of you guys or anyone for that matter could post a photo, or better yet, a before and after photo of a nick a date treated coin.

Thanks in advance.

Mojo

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Mojo,

I've acid treated a hundred or more buffalo nickels and the attached (pic came from eBay) is a good representation of a successful restoration. Sometimes you can apply it too many times and the nickel would become discolored (brown).

The before would be a slick nickel.

I'm out of town this weekend but I'll post an actual before and after when I get back.

JasonB

Attachments

• 1917 Full.jpg
    1917 Full.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 401
  • 1917 Buff Close.jpg
    1917 Buff Close.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 351
OP
OP
E

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JasonB said:
I've acid treated a hundred or more buffalo nickels and the attached (pic came from eBay) is a good representation of a successful restoration. JasonB
Will it work as well on the reverse to bring out the mint mark?

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Yes, it works equally well on the mintmark. If you resell them be sure to disclose whether you acid treated the date only or date and mm, etc.

It's easy to do and pretty fun. The nickels are slugs otherwise, so if you find a key date it's a bonus.

JasonB

OP
OP
E

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appreciate the info. I have two buffalo books, one to fill with full or partial dates, one for acid treated. Be interesting to see how much of a set I can put together on each.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Thanks for the link Dr.

It is amazing what that stuff can do.

Jason, looking forward to your photo's.

Mojo

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold a bunch of the treated buffalos on ebay that were key dates and while they did not bring a ton of money some brought decent amounts. They came in a coin collection I bought and I did not want them so off to ebay they went.

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
As promised, although late:

Before and After pics of acid restored Buff Dates:

Attachments

• Buff Nic Date Bef.jpg
    Buff Nic Date Bef.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 221
  • Buff After.jpg
    Buff After.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 238

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Thanks. $60 coin microscope from Ebay. Friends son got the buff in change. I agree, nice find. The nic a date makes it more fun.

JasonB

silvereagle78

Mar 14, 2009
The Burgh PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites SilverEagle
I wonder how many of those get sold to unsuspecting customers on ebay! Is there a definate way to tell if it has been treated? Some of them seem as though it wasn't done, or else I need glasses :laughing7:

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
I think I can tell. It leave the face a little porous. Of course, buyer beware is always required. I'm sure some get passed off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread