Big Mistake

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
NNN00000000000000000000000000000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What were you thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have seen those dimes go for close to 10 dollars per dime on ebay. Well on the upside, you know your area has some so go try and find some more. Owww is right.

Golden Silver

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
why so much?

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
The nickels and dimes they stopped minting already a couple of months ago. Very low mintages.

Golden Silver

puckhead

Apr 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
True that the mint stopped minting them, but the real issue is that very few people are finding them, giving the appearance that they are rare. The actual numbers will be the lowest mintage in quite some time, however, they will still not be considered a key date because there are TOO MANY, they just have not hit the supply channels yet because everyone has been cashing their change jars and until the banks go through that coin, they are not getting the 2009 stuff. If I came across any 2009 coins I would immediately sell on them feebay to some of those suckers because in the long run they will all be worth face value.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really need to get an e-bay account!

puckhead

Apr 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Right now it is both the P and D mints that everyone is going crazy for. If you look at the mintage numbers you will see that while the numbers are lower than in past years, they are far from being considered a key date, or rare if you will. As I said earlier, the supply chain is choked with other coins due to the economy (folks are cashing in their changes jars and/or collections and not spending money) and banks are not ordering enough coin to get the 2009 stuff into circulation. I have read a lot of articles on this and the consensus that I get is that by the end of the year, if not sooner, a 2009 dime or nickel will be worth just that, a dime or nickel. In the meantime, if you happen upon any of these 2009 coins, I would cash in on the fad as soon as you can via whatever your favorite site is. I do not think that there have been any 2009 D dimes or nickels on eBay yet so the first of those will go for big bucks like the first 2009 P coins did. HH all.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Holy S&*% - get back there tomorrow morning and buy every dime in that bank. I see the rolls going for over $50 each...I would also scrounge around and buy all the dimes in the area. You never know. I did that last week for cents and posted an open box on ebay for log cabins and it is going for crazy money. I hear some people saying the log cabins will hit $500 a box by the end of summer. You might only have those boxes in your area for a week or so. I wish I didn't have to work at a real job sometimes....

Maine_Jim

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Rich,
I found $100 worth of 2009-P Dimes about a month ago and posted it.
Then I found another $100 worth about two weeks after that, and today
I found another $100. I've been selling them on E-Bay.
You should go back to that bank. They have been selling quickly.
I've been finding them in regular rolls of dimes
mixed with older ones, too. It's crazy!!
I'm still yet to find any 2009 nickels.
Joe

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have yet to see a single 2009 D nickel on ebay, everyone listed is a P

Cherryman68

Feb 19, 2009
Henderson Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites IV
I really don't think the cents will reach 500 they keep dropping and on the railsplitters they reached circulation WAY WAY to fast to hold their value over time. It IS intresting to see that the log cabins are so very rare. I think those will be worth the most in the long run. The mint even underestimated the demand and released to few in the mint rolls. My advise is sell the railsplitters now because the premium is dropping 10X faster than the log cabins. And if you are lucky enough to find log cabins buy all you can hold half and sell half. Either way I think these boxes will always sell for 75-100 no matter what. I sold two boxes of regular 2008 nothing special for 60 each so there is a market for ANY box of new coins. But 2009 is a unique profit oppertunity that people like us should ride all the way to the bank for as long as the suckers... I mean people buy them.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am finding quite a few of the log cabins mixed in with my penny boxes now, so they are making it into circulation

Cherryman68

Feb 19, 2009
Henderson Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites IV
Goes4ever said:
I am finding quite a few of the log cabins mixed in with my penny boxes now, so they are making it into circulation

In my area I still don't find many log cabins. I see railspitters all the time. I got my first box of rail splitters a week after the release date...

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cherryman68 said:
Goes4ever said:

In my area I still don't find many log cabins. I see railspitters all the time. I got my first box of rail splitters a week after the release date...

Agreed. I have found about three times as many rail splitters as log cabins so far.

-Codes

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
I have yet to find any railsplitters here in Michigan. But I have heard this week, that some of the retail stores are getting them.

Mojo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions