Hit a copper hoard!

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I have never bought bags of pennies before. I figure that my bank mostly has MY rejects,. so buying them would make no sense. I fill "most" of their bags. But, I was there to dump some halves yesterday, and the teller told me an old man was in earlier. He brought lots and lots of cigar boxes, on a dolly. He told her that his father, who was 101, died, and he was hoarding coins just over time. Just trhrowing them in boxes and then not spending them. he had already gone through them and pulled out all the silver and wheats (bummer!) and now he wanted to dump them. So he put them in their coin counter, and filled three $50 bags of pennies, plus one quarters, one nickels and two dimes.

After asking her a little about it, I realized that these were still older coins, even if he culled out the silver. He said most of the coins were from the 70s or earlier. So I convinced her to sell me the three bags of pennies. Maybe he took the wheats, but at lest it sounded like I could get better than my 16.8% copper ratio off the bags.

Last night I worked one bag. My Ryedale is still waiting on a part, but I made it work (With effort) well enough to test a bag.

Out of 5,000 pennies in the bag, only 152 were NOT copper. Most of those were 1983 or 1984. That means 4,848 WERE copper. 96.9% copper. WOW.

Plus I found 22 wheats already, and have not hand sorted the copper side of my Ryedale. THose were just ones I saw while watching the piles as they came out. So he MISSED some wheats TOO.

Lastly, the QUALITY of many of the copper pennies is amazing. They are as red as I have ever seen in copper pennies. Not the gold light color of the new ones today (zinc) but a nice toned red color. I"ll take a picture of some when I finish my third bag so you can see the pennies.

It isn't gold, it isn't even silver, but it is NICE to get 97% copper in a bag. I hope (And think) the other two bags ALSO give me 97%. That will add to my copper hoard FAST. :-) And the red ones I'm going to separate out and keep for the longer term. Just because. They look AU (and i know nothing about grading, so take that with a grain of salt) to me!

Upvote 0

dp2013

Sep 11, 2008
Go back and get the bags of quarters, nickels and dimes. If he missed so many wheats maybe he missed some silver too.
Oh, Nice score by the way. This is the kind of find we dream of.

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
i was already gonna say it but the two tnetters above me beat me to it. get dem other bags!!!

jrf, if i remember correctly from previous posts, don't you do poorly on halves in your area? How have your half boxes faired so far this week since the ryedale's been down? Any luck?

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Yup - get down there in the morning and buy every bag they will sell you! Maybe get some nice coins! I actually got a "dream brinks box" of pennies once. Weirdest box I'd ever seen - was exactly as your bag but in a box. Happened when I was searching boxes for 2009's and noticed one was all brown or copper red coins. Opened one roll and it was solid copper. I was like "this is weird...". Same way through the entire box. I have a small hoard of copper but prefer the silver. They can be fun though and almost never a skunk box!

Maine_Jim

OP
OP
jrf30

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
They gave me the nickels too, but won't do the quarters or dimes. Say they already marked thm in the books as going to OK, so they have to send them. Whatever. I'll work the nickels though. :-)

phrostie - 4 boxes done of halves since the Ryedale went down. 6 to go. After 4 boxes - 1 90%, 1 40%, and 1 Franklin (nice!). Not a lot of silver, but better than my average, and the Franklin of course makes it very good.

And I have the nickels to do now, plus my part came in today from Andy, so my reydale will be up and running by tomorrow. It's going to be a busy 4th of July weekend. LOL. NIckels, halves (Last) and all these pennies. And taking a picture of the red copper.

I'll update after a little more searching. :-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread