2 Road Trips to end the month

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
The 23rd was our 25th wedding anniversary and we took a road trip along the Mississippi river.

First town was the biggest and we stopped at 8 banks.

Bank 1 had $60 in rolls. 1x64-D, 2x67, and 1x69-D. They also had a roll of Guam quarters I bought.
Bank 2 only had $6.50 in halves (SKUNK) but had 2 rolls of Birthplace cents.
Bank 3 had $110 in halves. 1x64-D, 1x67, 1x68-D, and 1x69-D.
The other banks had a total of $261, all SKUNKS.

Next town 1 bank with no halves.

Next town had 2 banks with $34 in halves, no silver but one bank had 10 rolls of the Formative Years cents. First ones I've found so bought them all.

23JUN09_Roll_Total.jpg

Next town had 2 banks, no halves. One said someone had been in recently and filled their bag and bought it. Anybody here filled a bag in Lake City, MN recently?

Next town had 1 bank with $291.50. 1x66, 1x67, 1x68-D, 1x2002-P, 2x2002-D, 1x2003-D, and 1x2005-D.

Next few towns very few halves, all SKUNKS.

Next bank was in the middle of nowhere. The lobby was closed so I decided to go to the drive-up window (I've never asked at the window before). I asked for halves and got a very quick "No". I was getting ready to drive off and she asked if I wanted loose or rolls, I told her either was fine. She said she had 6 rolls ??? so I bought them. SKUNK

Last town had 3 banks. First 2 had $54.50, no keepers. Last bank the lobby was closed so decided to try the drive-up again. Asked for halves and she said she would check. Came back and said she had $600 worth. She sent them out to me in 2 bags.
A majority of them were dumps by these people

23JUN09_Roll_Markings.jpg

Anybody here mark their rolls like this? In the unmarked rolls we found 1x66, 1x67, 1x69-D, and 2x2006-D. Also found a bunch of these.

23JUN09_Gold_Halfs.jpg

They must have been in some kind of display but there were a bunch of of just a few dates and not just one of each date in a series.

23JUN09_Half_Total.jpg

250 mile drive with nice scenery and a few more keepers for the stash.

Second road trip was this last weekend. I dropped my wife off at a meeting she had to go to and I headed for the banks.

First bank had $930 in an unopened CWI box and rolls. The teller brought them out and then told me they charged $5 to buy rolls. I've never paid a fee to buy halves and almost passed, but caved in and paid the fee. I should have stuck with my ne fee policy because it was a total SKUNK plus this Costa Rina coin

26JUN09_1999_Costa_Rica_50_Colon-1.jpg
26JUN09_1999_Costa_Rica_50_Colones_.jpg

Went to a bunch of banks that had a total of $15.50 in halves (SKUNK) and 1 1972 Ike dollar.

One of the last banks I stopped at had a very nice teller who gathered $25.50 from the teller trays that had a 1964-D and a 1969-D. She called downstairs and told me they had $781 if I wanted it. That bag helped make up for the fee at the other bank. The bank had a 1945 Walking Liberty, a 1963-D Franklin, 1x64, 3x64-D, 5x65, 6x66, 1x67, 5x68-D, 5x69-D, 1x04-P, 1x04-D, 1x06-D, and my first 2009-D.

26JUN09_Half_Total.jpg

Also, one of the 1965s is from a Special Mint Set (Needed for my book). It has a much more mirrored look than most 65s.

26JUN09_1965SMS_Half.jpg

Not a bad way to end the month. Here are a few pix of my bag finds the last half of the month.

15JUN09_Cent_Total.jpg

15JUN09_Dime_Total.jpg

15JUN09_Nickel_Total.jpg

25JUN09_Cent_Total.jpg

Upvote 0

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job! Love the coin and love the scenery! Gas well deserved.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fropa said:
Next town had 2 banks, no halves. One said someone had been in recently and filled their bag and bought it. Anybody here filled a bag in Lake City, MN recently?

I was at Lake City in January doing a Mississippi road trip, but not recently. Lake City was one of my worst stops...Picked up about $1200 in dumps from one bank and the other bank had nothing in their coin machine. On top of that one of the tellers at the bank I picked up the $1200 from was extremely rude. There are at least two different searchers that apparently hunt pretty frequently between Red Wing and Winona...I could tell by their trails of debris (okay comments by the tellers mainly)...one more northern and one more southern with a small gap between them. Not sure if they are on here or not.

I still did okay on that road trip, but also found a whole lotta nothing through some stretches. Did return home with a trunk full of pennies and nickels though... ;D

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Enjoyed the story.

Thanks for the photographs.

Better luck on your future adventures.

On the penny's and Guam Quarters. if it's not too late, SEL SELL SELL......

Mojo

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice road trip Fropa....thanks for the play by play. It was enjoyable to read!

I really enjoy road trips. I haven't taken one this summer yet. Reading post like yours deepens the urge for a road trip.

Again....well done Fropa!

OP
OP
F

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Thanks everybody. I much prefer road trips to boxes, usually better results and like to visit new places. GMan00001 - I knew that was in your basic area so thought it might have been you. I had much better luck on the Wisconsin side than the Minnesota side. I got the feeling there were more people hunting in MN. I need to check eBay again to see how the second cent rolls are selling.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread