Copper hoard pt. 2 - the nickels!!

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I went back and got the nickels from the bank. They would not give me the dimes or quarters. I had a hard time getting the nickels. His biggest complaint was that if I took 10 quarters out of the bag as silver, I'd then be bringing back all but 10 coins and dumping them again. At least with the pennies I take a large amount out. I promised I'd drive to a differnt branch and dump (A long drive, but I'd do it if he would sell me the quarters and dimes!) but he wouldn't budge. But, at least I got the nickels out of him.

The nickel finds.

Pre 1960 plus 1960 - 1962 plain (lower number minted, so I take those too) - 89

Silver war nickels - 6 !! (That adds to the TWO I had YTD before this, so this alone tripled my previous year to date on silver nickels!)

And a MAJORITY of the nickels were also 1960s and 1970s, just like the pennies.

I bet a majority of the dimes and quarters are also 1960s and 1970s, and who knows how many are early 1960s, meaning silver.

But getting the pennies I got, plus now the nickels, is still the best single transaction of copper and nickels I have ever gotten. I had a better wheat day once, when I found 9 rolls of wheat pennies, but this was still a day for a gold star in my CRH hobby. :-)

Upvote 0

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have a friend that can go into the bank and ask for the quarters and dimes? Have your friend pose as someone that needs them for their business or something.

Good luck.

kestrelia

May 9, 2007
That's pretty sweet. Unfortunately it sounds like a you have a bad reputation at this bank for picking and dumping coins. My advice is to never dump where you pick up. (In my experience ...) Even if they have a machine there or seem to be your buddies, dumping a lot of coins gets on people's nerves eventually.

OP
OP
jrf30

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Actually I've got a great relationship with them. He was just not wanting to give out the bags. I don't pick up any coins there. They are only my dump bank. But they like it (odd but true. They even assist me if I am bringing in two loads of coins, which I do at times. They take the bags, smile, tahnk me, and are genuinely happy to see me. They save odd coins for me when they get them, and they ask about my family all the time. I love those tellers) And I threw a few large accounts their way too, so they treat me real well. :-) He just didn't want to give up the bags. And this is the first time EVER they have given me ANY bags, even for pennies and nickels. They just don't do it normally, even when I ask. This time he did as a favor because he too was curious what the results would be. But it is rare. They just don't like it.

But I'm happy he gave them up THIS time. :-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions