• 100_1949.JPG
    100_1949.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 300
Upvote 0

puckhead

Apr 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
I would look at this with a loupe if you have one and you will probably find that it is some glue or resin with the imprint in that, vice Lincolns head. The other somewhat common thing is people like to put coins in a vice and try to create this "error". I really do hope you have something there, but I have found several coins that have this type of after mint damage, but do some research and definitely look at it with some good magnification. Good luck.

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The design is pressed or stamped into the metal. Could this be done by pressing two coins together in a vice? There is no damage to the other side of this coin though.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
puckhead said:
I would look at this with a loupe if you have one and you will probably find that it is some glue or resin with the imprint in that, vice Lincolns head. The other somewhat common thing is people like to put coins in a vice and try to create this "error". I really do hope you have something there, but I have found several coins that have this type of after mint damage, but do some research and definitely look at it with some good magnification. Good luck.

Soak it first in water and then in nail polish remover to see if it's resin.
Otherwise - probably a vice created error.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TXTim said:
puckhead said:

Soak it first in water and then in nail polish remover to see if it's resin.
Otherwise - probably a vice created error.
I agree. if it were a die clash the impression would be centered, not rotated.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
thrillathahunt said:
Hello all,

on the bottom you can see part of ONE CE (nt)

If the (ONE CE) at the bottom is reversed than its probably 2 coins pressed togeather or hammerd. If the text is normal than its from the die I would venture to say. But I am not an expert.

Mojo

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Mojo, the lettering is backwards...so it probably is a vice created error... thanks for all the replies everyone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions