More good road trip results

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I wanted to go back to the bank that yielded 762 silver halves Friday so planned a different route to get there yesterday. Most of the towns were 300-500 population 1 bank towns.

Bank 1 - $240 in hand rolls. 1x1967, 1x1982-S, and a 1981 Un Peso.
08JUL09_Bank_1.jpg

Bank 2 - $540 in hand rolls SKUNK

Bank 3 - Their new coin machine doesn't take halves so they had a bag of $400 and another 127.50 in a plastic bucket. The bag had a note on it saying it was verified in 2008 (Don't remember the month). They hand counted the ones in the bucket and I saw 1 silver edge. I paid and she gave me a 1973-S proof half back in change. She made a joke about me buying all these halves and the one she handed me was probably the one I was looking for. I'm really glad I took this route because the bag had

10x1965
19x1966
20x1967
22x1968-D
11x1969-D
1x1987-D
08JUL09_Bank_3.jpg

08JUL09_Bank_3a.jpg

08JUL09_Bank_3b.jpg

Most of these halves were dark. Do they look like they were MDing finds? I don't get out with my XLT enough and have never found any silver coins with it.

Next was the biggest metropolis on my trip. Just over 1,000 people and 2 banks. The first had $7 (SKUNK) The second only had $4.50, but did include a 1967.

On to the bank that produced all the silver last Friday. I had thought about what the teller said when I bought the halves. She came out of the vault and said "How about $400 worth", not "We have $400 worth". That made me think there could be more in the vault. I talked my wife into going in (first time she has asked for halves) and she came out with $300 in hand rolls. Unfortunately the lot only produced 1 1967. Also one roll had 20 halves and a quarter.
08JUL09_Bank_5_and_6.jpg

The last stop is the main branch of the last bank. They had 3 rolls in their vault. I said I'd take them and it started a big discussion between 3 tellers about could they sell me all their halves. Did so-and-so look at them yet? I'm thinking why the big debate over 3 rolls. They finally sold them to me and made a comment about the other branch having a bunch of halves. I wanted to say "Not as many as you think", but i didn't. I'm glad they decided to sell them to me because they had

1x1964
1x1966
9x1967
1x1968-D
1x1969-D
08JUL09_Bank_7.jpg

Not the numbers from last Friday, but still a nice road trip. Now if silver can just get back to the $16-$20 range.

Upvote 0

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
very nice

can you explain how you plan your trip, do you call ahead? do you find banks with 0 halves?

OP
OP
F

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I've never called ahead to ask about halves. I worry that if the teller saves silver it gives him/her a heads-up to make a check before I get there. I do end up going into banks that have no halves or will not "exchange money" for people who don't have accounts with them. That's all a part of the hunt. Some banks are really happy your taking the halves off their hands and others don't want to let them go. I always smile and say "Have a nice day" whether I get halves or not. It only takes a couple minutes to find out if they have halves, and if not it's on to the next location.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
If you want to go road trippin on a large scale and have great success you must call ahead. Plan Plan Plan. If someone was going to cherry pick the silver before you get there trust me the silver was already gone out of those rolls long before you ever called to enquire about it. Some banks have tellers that grab up all the silver some do not. Plan a route of attack and call ahead to know where the larger quantities of halves. After a while you will almost get a feel of which banks will produce and which wont. It is a numbers game so the more money you bring the more coins you can go through and the greater chance you have of hittin it big. Good luck

Golden Silver

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Fropa!! Quite successful road trip no doubt. I love road trips because of the different scenery.....new area.....just a break from the same ole routine.

Ya done good dude!! Congrats. Good luck on the next one and keep em coming.................

OP
OP
F

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Thanks everybody. CRHing like most everything you need to develop a system that works best for you. Most of my road trips are combined with going to see someplace I haven't been before or as part of a trip I am going to be taking for some reason other than CRHing so I stop at all the banks/credit unions along the route. If I had to make a choice of going way out of my way to get to 1 or 2 banks I may decide to call ahead, but so far I haven't been in that situation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions