gumball route guy

riverguy

May 23, 2009
Talked to a employee who was unloading coins and loading candy into the gumball machines. won't name the company, but it is the biggest one who operates the coin redemption machines in all the major food stores.

Here is what I learned.

they use the same sorting machines as Brinks (makes sense) and they do not kick out or detect silver coins.

On his gumball route (yes this big company owns all those gumball machines in the major food stores) he pulls out 25 - 30 silver quarters each week. The employees are allowed to buy them by replacing them with a clad quarters.

He pulls out about 25,000 pennies per month and the old policy was he could keep them, he said they paid for a nice vacation each year, but now loss control department has stopped that practice. It appears that the gumball machines accept non-quarter coins but do not reject them.

He gets about 20 - 50 slugs each week and they don't know who is doing that but they all look the same. He gave me six of them. Looked like they were punched out of electrical chassis type metal and work quite well in gumball machines. (hmm, cannot see much profit in slugging for a 2 cent gumball).

In Jacksonville he was handling a guys gumball machine route who was on vacation and in a Kroger store he found 25 proof quarters. He ask the manager if there were any recent robberies locally and the manager said yes, 3 days ago. So they pulled the security video tape and sure enough saw two teens having a good old time getting one of everything. Called the police, and they eventually ID the two teens within a week who were caught with more stolen proof coins and other stolen stuff.

Another story was one route man for the coin exchange machines went to another town and swapped an empty coin box with the full one and took the full one home. He was not so bright, since not many people have access to empty boxes and he was caught. The regular route man fell on his ass because apparently it takes a hefty tug to remove a full box of coins, and he did so when tugging on the empty one and fell over backwards expecting that it was full. He called the company to tell them what had happened and they caught the guilty guy within 2 days.

a gumball route is very profitable in these Kroger, publix etc stores, but I won't reveal the profit figures you you can guess for yourself. Stores get a big chunk.

I don't know if any of this new found information is useful to anyone, but here it is.

Attachments

• coinslugs2.gif
    coinslugs2.gif
    12.2 KB · Views: 397
Upvote 0

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
riverguy said:
he pulls out 25 - 30 silver quarters each week. The employees are allowed to buy them by replacing them with a clad quarters.

Hard to believe?

riverguy said:
He pulls out about 25,000 pennies per month and the old policy was he could keep them, he said they paid for a nice vacation each year, but now loss control department has stopped that practice. It appears that the gumball machines accept non-quarter coins but do not reject them.

At first I did not understand this statement but I think what you are saying is that these are Quarter machines and when you put pennies and other coins in it just eats them so the company did not care if you culled everthing but the Quarters cause the machine did not dispence anything for them, no loss.

Is that right?

Mojo

OP
OP
R

riverguy

May 23, 2009
Answer to two replies...

Yes, these are all quarter machines and will accept nickels, dimes and pennies, but will eat them and not return any candy, gum or prize so the route man could keep what he called trash coins anything that was not a quarter.

Also on the amount of silver pulled, I cannot remember if he said that was per week or month, so that much a week may be high and he told me how much cash he went through each week/month and I thought he said $40,000. So not knowing the proper time frames, I guess I am no help if that amount of silver was to be expected.

One thing for sure was he kept all silver and replaced them with clad.

Another part of the puzzle was is it worth it to punch out the slugs for quarters? Only cheaper vending machines will accept them. Most drink and big candy machines will not accept slugs.

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
There's a guy I talked to at one of my dump branches that owns payphones and he said he gets a silver quarter every day- I didn't know anybody used payphones anymore. HH all, Mark

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
i currently have 2 machines in a small mom and pop store. i empty it twice a year. so far no silver quarters have been found. i have found some slugs and my machines will take pennies, and dimes and nickels but will not dispense candy unless someone uses a quarter. i usually get about 10 of each in the collector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread