Good deal on 90% halves?

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
One of my coin dealers offered me halves of my choice (I can sift thru a full bin of Franklins or Kennedys) and buy at 9.2X face (I can buy as few or as many as I want). I plan to go tomorrow and buy these or some lower premium generic bullion (approx. 25-40 cents over spot depending on brand--no Engelhard or JM, etc).

That puts them (the 90%) almost at melt. Should I take him up on this or stick to bullion? I feel bad buying junk silver when I used to get a good deal of it at face back in the good ole' days. I believe that if silver goes much lower, demand will kick in and we will see high premiums again. I want to buy now while premiums are low.

Any thoughts?

Jim

Upvote 0

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$4.50 is an OK deal not the best but still OK. I think the coins are a better investment because they also can have numismatic value. (collector value) Bullion dose not have that kind of value most the times. So the coins are a better investment most the time. If you have the chance to buy a rare bullion bar from a private mint then get it. That will have numismatic value, don't get the modern mass produced bullion it has no numismatic value.

You can get small Art Bars that have some numismatic value. (See picture one) These bars are normally one ounce bars... "About the same Numismatic value as coins, a little less"

A rare bullion bar (See in picture two) is a better buy. "Much More numismatic value"

Stay away from the mass made modern bars. (Picture three, its a small picture but its there) " Little to no numismatic value"

Your best bet is Numismatic Silver coins (See picture four) "The most numismatic value"

Attachments

• BUfranklin.jpg
    BUfranklin.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 299
  • Artbar.jpg
    Artbar.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 312
  • Rarebar.jpg
    Rarebar.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 301
  • Moderbar.jpg
    Moderbar.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 264
  • BUfranklin.jpg
    BUfranklin.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 294

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
the nucleo exchange is $942 bid and $959 ask right now on $100 of 90% halves. So your ability to buy at $920 is a little better deal. Not great, but still a pretty good deal. I'd be a buyer, since I think the recent drop is a good time anyway, and your price is better than the competition.

The Nucleo exchange has been the best spread I have seen. The highest bids, and the lowest offers. Then they charge 1% to your order, either side. So really you are buying at $969, and selling at about $932. PLus shipping costs.

So what I'm saying is that if you can buy at $920, do it. If it were close to me, I'd buy a fair amount of those. :-) With the lack of shipping, and no sales tax since it is coin, the net $920 is a good deal.

IMHO.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
I could not do it. If you can't get it for face though... it my be worth it for you. I would search for errors and better condition coins in the bunch. Good luck.

Golden Silver

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
golden silver said:
I could not do it. If you can't get it for face though... it my be worth it for you. I would search for errors and better condition coins in the bunch. Good luck.

Golden Silver

GS,

My personal view is that in the future, gold and silver will be THE investment to be in. In a million years I could not build up a sufficient stash of silver via CRHing. I am just trying to accumulate silver bullion weight right now as fast as I can and as my cash flow allows. I have not bought 90% in a while in that I prefer bullion, but I think there could be a good play in it and I could sell it later on, like before 2000 when premiums on 90% went thru the roof as survivalist types were buying it up thinking it would be good for barter, etc.

jrf30 said:
the nucleo exchange is $942 bid and $959 ask right now on $100 of 90% halves. So your abilityt o buy at $920 is a little better deal. NOt great, but still a pretty good deal.

The Nucleo exchange has been the best spread I have seen.

IMHO.

JRF,

I only buy and sell at local dealers, so anything online is not any good for me. But I am sure if I buy a bunch tomorrow the price will fall another dollar on Monday. ;D

MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
You can get small Art Bars that have some numismatic value. (See picture one) These bars are normally one ounce bars... "About the same Numismatic value as coins, a little less"

MUD,

I try to avoid Art bars because local dealers don't pay any premium on them when it comes time to resell. I try to stick to Engelhard, JM, etc when I can get them at a low premium. I have also accumulated a nice collection of Mexican Onza (Libertads) and Candadian Maples (older ones) that I have picked up at lower premiums over the past few years. The American Silver Eagles are too pricey but I have a few of those too. Hopefully if/when silver goes over $20 it won't matter if I paid one dollar too much or so.

Jim

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to keep to the Silver coins, not Silver Eagles but coins that were in circulation. BU- Walking half, Franklin Half, Barber Half. These coins I think are the better investment. Engelhard bars will always be worth the weight in silver, coins will most likely go up in value.

Keep @ it and HH!!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Jim, I say buy...I would at that price, as it would cost me double that amount and take a lot longer to get if crh'ing. ffd

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread