First run success!

Silversound

Jul 11, 2009
SoCal
After becoming enamored with silver lately I stumbled on the concept of CRH. In need of a new hobby it seemed to be the perfect fit. I've been hanging on to a bunch of rolls of pennies for years that I could not get myself to change in - well now I know why! Sometimes things happen for a reason. After going through the 7 rolls (and then going to the bank to get 9 more) I pulled 3 wheaties, one canadian cent (Don't know if it's worth anything) and a bunch of pre-82's. Not sure if it's worth keeping pre 82's at this point, but I figure it may be worthwhile in the long run - I'd rather keep them and have them not ammount to anything than dump them and wish I hadn't. Oh yeah - 3 log cabins as well! Two in good circulated condition and one - well if I had a camera I'd post it - it was DESTROYED! It was so trashed I could only laugh! Cut, scraped, dinged, etc. I can't immagine what hapened to it! Either it's had a rough life already or someone went to town on it. I can only immagine.
In addition to the pennies I went for my first batch of halfs! Interesting turn of events though, both good and bad. I went to my local (so cal) B of A and asked for some rolls - they said that they don't carry OR order them! I was half stunned and half not surprised. So I went to the bank down the street and asked them - SAME STORY! They said that it's policy not to hold or order them, so I just sat there acting surprised and being very nice and the gentleman finaly broke down and said that he had 2 rolls in his drawer. Two rolls are better than none! After collecting those rolls I walked one block down to the NEXT bank (Wells Fargo) and asked them for some rolls - same policy, no orders or rolls in the back. So I'm still on the lookout for a source, hoping that I can find a reliable local place. Anyone else run in to/overcome this kind of a situation? The fellow at the Wells Faro said that the post office gives halfs as change in their stamp machines, so I may hit those up tomorrow. I'm so addicted.
Ok, ok, ok I know you're wondering how the rolls came out - Out of 2 rolls of halfs I pulled.....1 '64! I was stoked to have any success on my first time out, especially with such a small sampling. I walked home proud of my first silver, holding it in my pocket and smiling the whole way! The only thing is that this evening I realised I wasn't keeping an eye out for pre-75, just pre-64! I may go back to B of A where I dumped to buy them back and check again, though I don't recall seeing any and wonder if they would have jogged my memory if I had...
Anyways, I'm hooked and hopefully I can find a good local source to buy from, otherwise this may be a short lived hobby for me. Still enjoy the pennies, though.

Peace,
Silversound

Upvote 0

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the sounds of your story it, you may have broken one of the rules of CRH. Don't worry, many of us have done it, however if you keep doing it your bank will get on to you. Then Game Over.

What did you do?

You reference going to the local BofA then you dumped at BofA. Even if you only dumped 2 rolls, this is a no-no. Half-Dollars fall into a catagory that Tellers call "Funny Money." Funny Money just sits in their tray or cash drawer and doesn't move, thus everyday when they count their drawer, they have to count it.

When you bought the 2 rolls from them, you made a tellers day. She may have thought to herself, or even out said out loud, "Now I don't have to count them again." Then you return and bring back the halves, her joy has now turned to angst! You may never get another half-dollar from this teller or have her ask around for you.

Another issue with returing your dumps to a supply bank, and this is completely selfish on your part. Vital to your success but also selfish. You did not like the coins, your are returning the first time you got them, now you have returned them. The next time you ask for half-dollars at that bank, guess what coins you are likely to get.

Congrats on your '64 go get some more. remember this game is all about volume. If you want serious results, I'd plan on sorting through upwards of 20,000 per week. Don't worry if you don't have that kind of bankroll, you will just have to dump a lot more often.

Good Luck
Michael

FL Junkman

Feb 13, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70 and Silver U-Max
Unless I read Silversound's story wrong, he did not say he got the halves from BOA but from "a bank down the street" between BOA and Wells Fargo. But being a newby, keep the rule in mind anyway, you never want to dump at your supply bank unless they request some of them back for a specific customer. I have had this happen to me on a couple of occassions. Welcome to the hobby and good luck finding a supply bank.

FL Junkman

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right! I stand corrected. I hope it didn't sound like I was chastising, I was attempting to educate.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
You should mainly be looking for 70 or older for silver. And any S mints. congrats on your 64!

Golden Silver

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, No one in the county will order me halfs (but some banks occasionally get a box) - have to rely on hand rolls and there are a lot of hunters...

HH
-GC

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dn't know about this. But I have a good relation with my bank. When I go and get rolls from them and when I am doe wtih my rolls I just put a black mark around one of the ends and my tellers will not give me the marked rolls back. Then they will let me know when I have gone thru rolls all the rolls and then I start on something else to look thru. It is all how well you get along with the tellers. Then when they get new in they will tell me that a new batch of coins have arrived......Matt

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mlayers said:
I dn't know about this. But I have a good relation with my bank. When I go and get rolls from them and when I am doe wtih my rolls I just put a black mark around one of the ends and my tellers will not give me the marked rolls back. Then they will let me know when I have gone thru rolls all the rolls and then I start on something else to look thru. It is all how well you get along with the tellers. Then when they get new in they will tell me that a new batch of coins have arrived......Matt
Question: Is the teller your wife or daughter?

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more thing. don't just ask for rolls. They may say they don't have rolls but have loose. They may think you only want rolls. ask for ALL halves.
HH
Gilbert

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No the tell is not my wife, daughter or any relation.......Matt

OP
OP
Silversound

Silversound

Jul 11, 2009
SoCal
PiercesDad - Thanks for the well-intentioned ettiquite lesson! The value of it was not lost, and def. appreciated. With that said, does anyone have any strategic dump/supply preference for the bank that they have an account with? Is one better than the other?

Golden Silver - Thanks for setting me straight on the 70 or older - You saved me a lot of potential dissapointment! Thanks for the tip on the s-mints. They sound refreshing ;)

Enamel 7 - Good call on the "all halves" request, I assumed that the banks would have a stash of rolls in the back or something - I'm learning that that's hardly the case! Where do you go to get cases of them?

To update everyone - this morning I went back to B of A to reclaim my dump and filter more discriminately - I ended up being directed to the merchant window as I was also picking up a box of pennies. Luckily, the merchant there was really sweet and eager to help and ended up combing the entire bank for all the halves she could find and picked up many more than just the ones I had dumped.

In terms of dumping for all types of coins, do you just bring the coins back lose in a bag or box or do you roll them yourself? Thanks for all the help!

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
If your dump bank has a coin counter they will just run them for you- if not you will have to reroll them. HH Mark

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silversound said:
In terms of dumping for all types of coins, do you just bring the coins back lose in a bag or box or do you roll them yourself?
One other option to get rid of them if you are not getting that many is to just spend them. Some times people will keep them and put them aside for their kids, and that way they are out of circulation and you do not have to search thru them again. Plus it is a way to get rid of your rejects without having to figure out where to dump them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread