The Roll We Want, But Are They Being Hid??

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Went on a little road trip today...... got 80$ in handrolled halves from the parent bank of the branch that I did well at this past week...... got one OLD handroll that was a shotgun roll on one end.... it is marked in blue ink : "DO NOT GIVE OUT"

Got a FULL ROLL of 1964 90% Kennedys........... only managed one other 40% on the trip.... but how many of these type of rolls are banks hoarding? The ink appears to be old...... the cool thing was that it went through the hands of 5 tellers to get to me today.. and all of them passed along a gold mine :)

Upvote 0

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the solid roll of 64's!! That doesn't happen very often. Great score indeed!!

I find it odd that they would mark it like that. It seems if someone would have not wanted to give them out, their intention was to purchase them for themselves. If that is so, why didn't they?

If this isn't the case at all, why mark them "DO NOT GIVE OUT"? Why hold them back if nobody in the bank wanted them?

Can anyone shed some light on this? This has me curious........things that you make you go hmmmmmm.........??

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a theory about this. The teller/tellers know that the coins are silver, thus worth more than face value. Even if they do not want to "buy" them for themselves, they don't want anyone else to "profit" from them either.

Yesterday I was at my bank that I do regular business with, to buy a box of pennies for my son and I to look through. The guy teller went and got a box and I could see right away that it was a new railsplitter box. Just about then a woman teller hollers over "Don't give out THAT box, give him one of the other ones. :dontknow:

They probably thought I was going to sell it on ebay and make an "obscene" profit from it!!!!!!!

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
LJ said:
If this isn't the case at all, why mark them "DO NOT GIVE OUT"? Why hold them back if nobody in the bank wanted them?

Can anyone shed some light on this? This has me curious........things that you make you go hmmmmmm.........??

I'll take a stab

None of the tellers wrote the message but most likely the guy who they belonged to and his poor widow or offspring payed no attention to the note from beyond the grave. Or they were stolen. And than of course none of the tellers were cherrypickers....... ?

Mojo

50centman

Feb 25, 2008
Maybe the teller that wrote the note was no longer there or not working that day, or maybe someone was giving you a gift. I had that happen with a teller I hadn't seen in two years at a bank in a small town. She left the bank but then came back to her old position. I remembered her as a stern lady and had not gotten any good coins from that bank. I asked if they had any rolls. Yes 240$. She went to get them and when she came back said she remembered me because of my strange request two years ago and said " By the way, you may find something good in these two rolls, an older gentleman just turned them in". I said "Thanks" and found two solid rolls of 64s when I opened them. I've found that some of the gruffest people turn out to be the most accommodating. Anyone else had that experience?

dunc

Apr 7, 2009
copperopolis ca.
My brother works as a teller at wells fargo and says nearly every teller there has quite a bit of silver in their drawer. They save it up for awhile before selling it to another teller so they can buy it back. He said if I wanted to be an a-hole he would tell me who had what and I could go in one day ask for the manager and clean them out.

An employee there was already forced to give up her stash of quarters when they were spotted by a customer. He threatened to get the manager if she wouldn't let him buy them. My brother said the manager has made it clear to them that if they don't buy them immediately they have to give them to a customer when asked.

BTW when one of the tellers at this bank was fired my brother pulled 97 40% out of her drawer to sell to me. Through another teller of course.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
i have to agree with Mojo.....but i think it was written by whoever saved them and wrote that on there as a reminder to himself not to give them out.( to the grandkids or for gifts, etc)

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ink appears to be old......

Could you go in to a little detail on how you determine the ink was old. I mean I recently found some rolls that looked like they had been transfered from a armored truck to a rental truck and dropped on the ground in the process and they were all silver but the ink did not look old.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread