WOW!! 2 Rare Lincolns SOLD $251.50!!!!!

Historyhound

Nov 2, 2006
Schenectady New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
2 1999 Type 2 (Wide AM) Lincoln cents. These were found in rolls that were in Brinks boxes. While they are circulated, I've read reports that there are less than 300 known in any grade. I'm seeing uncirculated examples sell for $450+. Just posted them as a set on E-Bay. I'll let you all know the score at the end of the auction on Sunday the 19th. Man, I love this hobby!!

Attachments

• 1999 face reduce.JPG
    1999 face reduce.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 935
  • 1999 back reduce.JPG
    1999 back reduce.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 927
  • 1999 close up 1.jpg
    1999 close up 1.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 980
  • 1999 close up 2.jpg
    1999 close up 2.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 976
Upvote 0

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
I started my CRH with the pennies and like a lot of us here moved on to the silver and halves but recently I've started to go back to the pennies. That was inspired by a recent shipment of 09 log cabins into the state. I forgot how much fun they were and how little money it took! I've been able to scrounge a few boxes of the log cabins and made a decent profit but it also got me looking at the pennies for the errors. All I've found are a couple wide AM 2000s. Pretty common compared to what you found. Congrats!

Maine_Jim

Cherryman68

Feb 19, 2009
Henderson Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites IV
maine_Jim said:
I started my CRH with the pennies and like a lot of us here moved on to the silver and halves but recently I've started to go back to the pennies. That was inspired by a recent shipment of 09 log cabins into the state. I forgot how much fun they were and how little money it took! I've been able to scrounge a few boxes of the log cabins and made a decent profit but it also got me looking at the pennies for the errors. All I've found are a couple wide AM 2000s. Pretty common compared to what you found. Congrats!

Maine_Jim

If you can get another box of those log cabins I would hold on to it. The price is going back up on ebay and I think it will continue to till the end of the year. just a thought.

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
silvercop said:
amazing. just goes to show that anything will sell in feebay if it is worded right.
It's not that "anything" will sell if worded right. It's just that rare varieties of any coin will always bring more on the open market than a silver disc of which there are hundreds of millions. Pulling silver out of a box of halves is simply picking the low hanging fruit, whereas finding errors and varieties is the heart of actual coin collecting. Good luck, Gpurs...

phillips24

Aug 28, 2008
Illinois
jim4silver said:
I still am surprised (I know I shouldn't be) that somebody would pay $450 for a small piece of copper minted in 1999, when they could get approximately 32 ounces of generic silver for the same price.

I wonder which will be worth more in 2, 5 or 10 years? I bet I know the answer to that.

I think that the quote attributed to P T Barnum is still true today.

Jim

The pennies in 1999 are only made out of a copper plated zinc. The 95% copper pennies stopped in 1982.

Jimmy@romega

Dec 4, 2008
rome, ga
just read an article on the 1992 p rare penny it is the close am not wide am. Only 3 is known to exsist so if anybody find one of these consider yourself a lottery winner.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jimmy@romega said:
I wouldn't bother with the 1992 penny the odds are astronomical. It's probably 1 in millions that you will find one. I read an article there is only single digit numbers in exsistance.

I did find one of the 1992-D close AM ones a couple years ago when I used to check for errors....it was in one of my past posts with a pic.

Still wondering how much it's worth, but guessing it is the most valuable coin I have ever found at face.

silvereagle78

Mar 14, 2009
The Burgh PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites SilverEagle
GMan00001 said:
Jimmy@romega said:
I wouldn't bother with the 1992 penny the odds are astronomical. It's probably 1 in millions that you will find one. I read an article there is only single digit numbers in exsistance.

I did find one of the 1992-D close AM ones a couple years ago when I used to check for errors....it was in one of my past posts with a pic.

Still wondering how much it's worth, but guessing it is the most valuable coin I have ever found at face.

As I stated earlier in the thread your 1992-D cent is listed in the "Stike It Rich With Pocket Change" for $2,400 in AU, $900 in XF, and $4,000+ in UNC, That is a awsome find, Congrats

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silvereagle78 said:
As I stated earlier in the thread your 1992-D cent is listed in the "Stike It Rich With Pocket Change" for $2,400 in AU, $900 in XF, and $4,000+ in UNC, That is a awsome find, Congrats

Actually, you only stated part of that earlier. The XF price wasn't listed. On top of that I am not sure if mine would grade XF or AU, so I still don't know it's value.

Just decided to keep it for now, so price reallly isn't a major factor. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread