Well It had to happen. Bad day for me. ( "update" )

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Well It had to happen. Bad day for me. ( "update" )

I know some of you have had worse days / luck. But It really hurts when this happens to you.

I picked up a bag of dimes today 1k. They are usually short a couple of dollars. I haven't had a good score in month's on these bags.

Well today this bag was really short. Or wasn't it?

I take those bag's straight to my dump bank because their machine DOES discriminate all the silver and Foreign coins out so it's just a matter of pickup and dump. No tedious searching involved.

So I get to my dump bank and began to run that bag through, and the machine fills up @ about $340 into it. The whole time it's rejecting about 30% of everything and I have to keep reaching into the reject slot and grab handfulls of dimes and place them back into the feeder.

So the lady comes out to replace the bin. ( this machine has a single square metal box that holds around 500# of coin, It all dumps into it and the courier verify the count elsewhere.) and puts in a new bin.

I continue with my dump and end I up with $949.55 ouch.

Now I'm thinking my buy was off, but $50 is pretty extreme.

So I print my receipt and it shows $948.70 in dimes and $.85 in pennies ? And I ended up with $3.50 in Canadian dimes.

Well I have had dimes counted as pennies before but never that many. And on average the bags have been short $4 or $5 normally due to this fact as well as an abundance of Canadian which gets rejected. And I can account for it.

I take it up to the Teller that helped the other woman change out the box. I told here there must be a problem with the machine and Could I talk to the other woman about it and she told me that she had left already. She then went to talk to someone else about it and they told her they had to verify the contents. ( The pick up people whom she described as the Fed's ) and of course it will take some time depending how busy they were. Like at least a week.

I'm feeling really screwed at this moment because no one really knew what to do. Except for the lady who left. So I told them to run A xerox copy of my receipt and I wrote a statement claiming my bag was believed to have contained $1000 in Dimes. I noted that it counted $.85 in pennies and i had @ tellers go back to the machine and look at the contents of the bin inside the machine to show them that there were no pennies in my batch. Which they obliged. And low and behold there were none so that they can back up my ascertain that i did not run any through.

I know what you should all be thinking at this moment, I thought of it too Which is what complicates this whole mess even more. The first part of the dump is in the other bin which they locked with a padlock when they pulled it out and only the pick up source has a key too. So they and I both agreed that even though the new box contained only Dimes the other box could surly have contained $.85 in pennies. Which I of course admitted makes this a unique and complicated Dilemma.

Both boxes now have to be audited. I told them that the Machine is obviously in need of Calibration Because it was systematically was rejecting 20 to 30 % of everything I ran through it. not to mention the shortage and dimes counted as pennies.

So I got my Cash $949.55 and left with a promise that they will get back to me within a week, (Hopefully) And me feeling like I am totally Screwed.

The other issue is Did the bank that I bought from short me, or did my dump bank short me?

Due to the large $'s of shortage and the high number of phantom pennies counted and the rejection rate of 1/3 of everything. I got to believe the machine screwed me.

I got out to the car and had a thought? I went back in and tried to talk again to the teller who was taking my complaint. She was in back & when she came out I suggested that maybe we could quarantine the coins that were in the new box ( which at that point were only my dump ) and help with my case. And just then another customer walked up and dumped a big jar of coins in and started her up.... WA WA WA. WE all looked over and I said well I guess that can't happen now. Threw up my arms and left.

These tellers all know me I have been in this bank many times over the last 4 years. They acknowledged that during the debate. None of them could ever remember a situation like the one I'm am in. We all acknowledged that it probably won't be favorable to me. And they felt bad that it happened.

We shall see.

I am tottally sick.

Mojo

Upvote 0

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
Re: Well It had to happen. Bad day for me.

Sounds like my dump banks- there are 4 different variations to that counter in use here, the only one I will put dimes into is the one that feeds into a trommel (mining term, cylinder with holes in it that turns and feeds the coins onto the disk). Reason being the other style that just has a vibrating deck when I feed dimes I tend to overfeed and one time overfilled the trash tray with dimes (not the reject). One other problem with dimes is there are some that seem to be missing the chrome outer layer, those I put into a cup as they will be counted as pennies for sure. I saw the guy that runs his payphone booty through these machines purposely run a couple silver quarters and 4 silver dimes to make sure they were rejected- rejected were 2 quarters (all) and 3 silver dimes. He made them open up the bin and there sat the 4th nice and shiny on the pile. Once I say a Ben Franklin when they changed bins so I wouldn't be so sure about rejecting all the silver. Hope this helps. HH Mark

OP
OP
coinmojo

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan

Silver Stripe said:
Sounds like my dump banks- there are 4 different variations to that counter in use here, the only one I will put dimes into is the one that feeds into a trommel (mining term, cylinder with holes in it that turns and feeds the coins onto the disk). Reason being the other style that just has a vibrating deck when I feed dimes I tend to overfeed and one time overfilled the trash tray with dimes (not the reject).
Once I saw a Ben Franklin when they changed bins so I wouldn't be so sure about rejecting all the silver. Hope this helps. HH Mark

Sounds like the same type of machine.

I only trust it to discriminate my dime dumps. I may have lost 1 or 2.

Mojo

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro

Mojo, I feel for ya man. I would say time to look into another dump method. Too much risk involved in doing it like your doing. I did get shorted 40 dollars once when a machine started sorting before they had turned the counter back on. Luckily it was a new bag and they could count the contents of what went into the machine. They tried to say that it had been counted and sent to my account but I told them it did not. I ended up getting refunded the money. Good luck with your situation.

Golden Silver

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008

Mojo,

This is why I stopped doing dimes. Every time I dumped them I got ripped off. The machine you mention in your post sounds like a coin counter I use (push the coins into the end of the tray, and they spin around on a circular collection plate as they are counted?).

Mine counted dimes as pennies. I was losing way more than I was gaining. I have not had such problems with halves on these types of machines.

P.S. These machines do no reject all silver. The first time I went to this bank they let me buy what was in the half dollar collection box and it was full of 90%ers and 40%ers.

I decided to make it a dump bank due to the ease of cashing in dumps and because the box took too long to fill to make it worth saving it as a place to buy from the machine. But I do find silver dimes and quarters in the reject bin occasionally.

Jim

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Once time I was shortened $110, which is about 10% of my dump; Very risky! I felt your pain, buddy.

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500

hey mojo i think i have told you before that i have a ryedale. i currently buy bags of pennies from one of the local banks. the pennies come right out of the coin sorter in the lobby. i buy them this way because it is easier than having to open up all the rolls. anyway, i buy 50.00 bags of pennies and on average i get about 5.00 worth of dimes in each penny bag, so i think this is a pretty common problem with the coin sorters located in banks. just to let you know the counter in the bank i use is a cummings sorter and it is a spinning sorter. one other thing when i dump at another bank with the same kind of sorter i never get any of my penny dumps counted as dimes.
also i would be careful, the bank may try and ban you from using their counter if you cause them too much work.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008

I dumped $1300 or so in halves and the machine counted the halves as SBA dollars. So I did the right thing and told them. I figured with my good deed I'd catch some of that Karma. All I got were bigger dumps.

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mojo...that bites!!! I feel your anguish because this very thing has happened to me last year or year before except it was one bin...not two like your case. I was off about $60-$70. I brought it to the attention of the branch manager. I was a regualr so they worked with me. We opened the machine and there was nothing but dimes on top so that was to my advantage. They made a copy of my receipt also.

They do not send the bins to the Fed but instead to their main branch where there is a big commercial machine. They ran that bin through the big machine and credited my account. It took about 1 1/2 weeks to get it done but eventually it all worked out. I actually think I came out way ahead because of the machine counting the previous coin customers wrong too but in much less quantity. They credited my account the whole difference. I told them about it but they said it would be way to much of a hassle to handle it any different.

I think it will work out for you but the system just has to run it's course. It may take a little longer since it has to go to the Fed. If it happens in a week you will be lucky.

Obviously, I hope it works out for you which I think it will eventually. Good luck.

By the way, this is one of the reasons I stopped searching dimes.

OP
OP
coinmojo

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan

silvercop said:
also i would be careful, the bank may try and ban you from using their counter if you cause them too much work.

I hear you on this one . Not my intention to make a big fuss. I'm prepared to bite the bullet on this one.

I kinda felt the loss as soon as I pulled the ticket.

silvercop said:
hey mojo i think i have told you before that i have a ryedale. i currently buy bags of pennies from one of the local banks. the pennies come right out of the coin sorter in the lobby.

This machine dumps everything into a single square box. I believe it is a coinmaster, But I will post back on that.

The other machine at the C.U. Where I buy bags from spills into separate bags. and eats the coins very fast 10x faster and has no reject tray on the outside, also has the magnet that some have spoke of. The only problem is, is that they charge 3% of everything over $100 even for account holders. so I dump at the slow free machine. but it cost me $50 this time.

I do not own a rydale. Someday though.

golden silver said:
Mojo, I feel for ya man. I would say time to look into another dump method. Too much risk involved in doing it like your doing.
I ended up getting refunded the money. Good luck with your situation.

Golden Silver

Thanks. I'm not holding my breath, but who knows, if they do actually do an audit and find out I was right maybe I'll get all the overages that none of the cookie jar users even noticed? ..... LOL

Fat chance I suppose . But you never know.

Can you imagine that if that machine is off 5% all of the time in their favor how much they stand to gain?

I mean most of the people who come in while I'm dumping with small cups, jars, Coffee cans and ziplock baggies don'teven know how much they have in them. They are trusting the machine to count it correctly.

Well we know the truth. When that machine goes out of caliberation the customer will lose every time. Their is a higher likelyhood that the bank will benefit in that scenario.

jim4silver said:
Mojo,

1) This is why I stopped doing dimes. Every time I dumped them I got ripped off.

1a) The machine you mention in your post sounds like a coin counter I use (push the coins into the end of the tray, and they spin around on a circular collection plate as they are counted?).

2) Mine counted dimes as pennies. I was losing way more than I was gaining. I have not had such problems with halves on these types of machines.

3) P.S. These machines do no reject all silver. The first time I went to this bank they let me buy what was in the half dollar collection box and it was full of 90%ers and 40%ers.

4) I decided to make it a dump bank due to the ease of cashing in dumps and because the box took too long to fill to make it worth saving it as a place to buy from the machine. But I do find silver dimes and quarters in the reject bin occasionally.

Jim

1) I am thinking about dropping the dime bags.

1a) The machine I use has two types of hoppers fed from the top ( a rectangular tray on top that you place your coins in and either push into a slot on the left or you can lift the tray from the right side and is hinged on the left to slide into the slot). it than feeds into a tumbler or a vibrating chute, that dumps into the spinning disk about 10" in dia. and spins counterclockwise on a 60 Degree incline and feeds to the discriminator top left. It has a 5 x 8" in plexiglass window on the right above the disk & to the right of the tray so you can see the coins falling out of the tumbler and onto the spinning disk which lines them up and feeds them into the discriminator.

2) It has done this before but never more than say a dozen dimes counted as pennies.

3) They would never let my buy from this box, and as many times as I have watched them change them out (at least once or twice a week ) I have never seen any silver in them.

4) They are the slower machines but I pay no fee. I discovered that they rejected dimes only because I have found them in the reject tray several times that others left behind. These machines seem to be very sensitive. I tried it on on a bag for the first time last year and have been doing the dime bags this way every since. But I wont trust it to do the halves. It's just not worth the time to search the dime bags by hand and reading the dates. it's not like edge searching rolls since they are all loose. it usually took me over an hour or two to date search a 1k dime bag. it takes the machine about 20 minutes tops.

Also I have found Wheaties and steel pennies in the reject trays of these machines.

Thanks for all your replies and reading this post.

Would anyone else like to share?

Mojo

OP
OP
coinmojo

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan

LJ said:
Mojo...that bites!!! I feel your anguish because this very thing has happened to me last year

They credited my account the whole difference. I told them about it but they said it would be way to much of a hassle to handle it any different.

I think it will work out for you but the system just has to run it's course. It may take a little longer since it has to go to the Fed. If it happens in a week you will be lucky.

Obviously, I hope it works out for you which I think it will eventually. Good luck.

By the way, this is one of the reasons I stopped searching dimes.

Thanks LJ I know I've read other posting on this very same issue.

I'm hoping for the best but will accept the outcome as to not make too many waves.

I think it is time to give up on the Dime searches.

Mojo

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania

i only dump at TD bank(they have the same type of counter).....i have had this happen on numerous occasions. always with dimes.what i have found out is that the machines are used so much they fall out of calibration several times a day.the dimes and pennies are so close (both in size and CU,NI content) that they are the first to go out of calibration when the machine is overworked.and if they don't calibrate it correctly they are the first to be misscounted. the only thing is the tellers believe the machine is always correct. however this machine dumps into bags of the same denomination so looking to see what was dumped is not an option. you can only contest the count by writing your name and account # on the back of the reciept and when the count comes back from Brinks or whomever and it is over they say the'll contact you and or credit your account. this has never happened and i have had dimes counted as pennies to the tune of $5 or more. unfortunately i have no answer except stop doing dimes on the counter and reroll yourself to be dumped at a bank that has no counter in the lobby. it sure is a shame.

tank014

Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Ace 250, Garret 1250

I was going to post this on its own thread last Thursday but here will do just fine.

Last Thursday I picked up my coins that used brinks as their delivery service. I bring them home and low and behold I open my brinks dimes box and I notice immediately I am missing one whole roll of dimes off the top. Err. It was still sealed when I got it so I know no one at the bank grabbed one but that really pissed me off last week. Not only that box the box didn't produce anything. Double whammy.
HH,
Frank

OP
OP
coinmojo

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan

tank014 said:
I was missing one whole roll of dimes off the top. Err. It was still sealed when I got it. Not only that box didn't produce anything. Double whammy.
HH,
Frank

Happend to me before with half dollar boxes as well, a couple of times. Once you leave the bank there is no way to convince them. I now always open the box in front of them before I leave.

Mojo

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE

If you keep this up you're wife and kids won't take you camping anymore.

OP
OP
coinmojo

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan

TXTim said:
If you keep this up you're wife and kids won't take you camping anymore.

I might have to suffer the loss of camping.

Nice recall on my camping turmoil.

By the way one of those times I got shorted a roll is when I had to do something and the wife picked up my boxes for me and one was torn and missing a roll which she did not check.

She hasn't picked up boxes since.

Mojo

OP
OP
coinmojo

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Re: Well It had to happen. Bad day for me. ( "update" )

Yea!

I got a letter in the mail today.

My dump bank credited my account $50.45 for the shortage from the coin machine.

No explanation or note other than a deposit slip that said coin difference.

I'll take it...... WEW :o

Mojo

Cherryman68

Feb 19, 2009
Henderson Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites IV

Gald it worked out for you. It's about time Banks start doing the right thing.

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

coinmojo said:
Yea!

I got a letter in the mail today.

My dump bank credited my account $50.45 for the shortage from the coin machine.

No explanation or note other than a deposit slip that said coin difference.

I'll take it...... WEW :o

Mojo

Good to hear it worked out for you Mojo. The system worked.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread