Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    us
    Jul 2009
    Future Millionaire

New Member, already a CRH'ing addict *Update #2 PICS*

Hey guys - not going to bore everyone with my coin collecting history, but it's nice to be back into the coin world.

Started CRH'ing in April(ish), and have accumulated (200) 40% halves, and about (45) 90% halves.

Finally got to be friends with a bank, and I get $1-2000 of halves every week. Unfortunately, there are only 2 banks over here with coin counters

Anyhoo - Here was my last pull from $1000 in halves. IIRC, it was (29) 40%'ers and (7) 90%'ers. The black ones are two old Walking Liberty's, and one Franklin. For some reason, almost all of my Franklins and Walkers are "coated" in this black junk - not sure if it's just an extreme amount of oxidation, or from someone who needed to finish off a can of Rhino Lining.

Is there any way to chip/dissolve/clean this junk off of the coins?? I must have 15 other walkers/franks that have this stuff on them.

Thanks for the great site, and thanks for all the helpful information!!!

DAVE
    I'm addicted to money - nothing more, nothing less.

(40%) Halves - 286
    (90%) Halves - 94
    Rosies - 2
    War Nicks - 3
    Buffalos - 1
    Wheats - 14

us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    1023 times
    silver surfing

Re: New Member, already a CRH'ing addict

Welcome to the forum Dave. You can try a chemical dip on those blackened coins. Some dealers sell it. If it is common date silver you will not hurt the value. ffd

LJ
    us
    Dec 2006
    3 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Hi Dave....welcome aboard!!! Nice haul no doubt!! Kudos.

Those black halves look familiar. I have picked up some that look like that recently. I tried a electrolysis on one just to play around and it didn't come out too good.

What part of Louisiana are you from?

Thanks for posting the pictures. Good luck on your next boxes.
    LOVE THE HISTORY AND THE MYSTERY

us
    Jun 2008
    Sausalito Blvd Sausalito CA 94965

Welcome Aboard the Treasure Ship

us
    Jan 2008
    8 times

sorry all i see is a red x........how come on some posts i get that instead of a pic? anyone know why some pics don't show? is it a different type of pic? (say jpg or bmp, etc)

us
    Sep 2005
    Knox, Indiana
    Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
    98 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

at least you have a coin counter....the nearest one for me is an hour away

HH
    -GC

us
    Jul 2009
    Future Millionaire

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!!

I'm from the Lake Charles area - VERY southwest Louisiana, about 30 minutes from the Gulf.

About the black coins - I'm not concerned with what they really look like after cleaning, I just want them to actually resemble half dollars! A few weeks back, I had dipped one in some commercial liquid silver cleaner that we use for our jewelery, and the black stuff somewhat turned into a "sludge". I wanted to check with you guys before I did it again.

I'm going to dump the 1K in halves this afternoon, and plan on picking up another K to run through. This stuff is ADDICTING!!!

DAVE

(40%) Halves - 286
    (90%) Halves - 94
    Rosies - 2
    War Nicks - 3
    Buffalos - 1
    Wheats - 14

us
    May 2009
    F75 LTD

Quote Originally Posted by QuickDraw22
    Thanks for the warm welcome guys!!

I'm from the Lake Charles area - VERY southwest Louisiana, about 30 minutes from the Gulf.

About the black coins - I'm not concerned with what they really look like after cleaning, I just want them to actually resemble half dollars! A few weeks back, I had dipped one in some commercial liquid silver cleaner that we use for our jewelery, and the black stuff somewhat turned into a "sludge". I wanted to check with you guys before I did it again.

I'm going to dump the 1K in halves this afternoon, and plan on picking up another K to run through. This stuff is ADDICTING!!!

DAVE
    Welcome to the forum. I'm originally from Westlake, LA. I've been gone from that area for about 15 years now and I've been really curious how much silver was over in those parts and I've been looking for an excuse to go back home . Well, I won't be going back anytime soon, but at least I'll find out what I've been missing. Good luck!

us
    Sep 2004
    TX
    Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
    3 times

I have gotten quite a few blackened ones like that before, looked like they had been in a fire. I just used my tumbler I use to clean my md finds, cleaned them right up.

us
    Aug 2008
    Ace 350
    121 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Welcome - I've used straight ammonia and a brass brush. Gives it a good "wizzed" look. Not sure about the sludge you have there might be something nasty... - If the coin doesn't have any numismatics value just start trying all sorts of cleaners!

Maine_Jim

us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    1023 times
    silver surfing

Quote Originally Posted by mistergee
    sorry all i see is a red x........how come on some posts i get that instead of a pic? anyone know why some pics don't show? is it a different type of pic? (say jpg or bmp, etc)
    MGee, I have to ask this about the red X; are you using dial-up internet?

Oct 2007
    Hampton Roads, VA.
    bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
    18 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Sounds like you got some Of LJ's black halves. Silver is good whatever color.

Golden Silver

us
    Mar 2008
    Michigan
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by LJ
    Hi Dave....welcome aboard!!! Nice haul no doubt!! Kudos.

Those black halves look familiar. I have picked up some that look like that recently. I tried a electrolysis on one just to play around and it didn't come out too good.

What part of Louisiana are you from?

Thanks for posting the pictures. Good luck on your next boxes.
    Uh oh LJ someone could be moving in on the ole feed pile........

Mojo
    CRH Mojo "Thanks For buying American"

us
    Jul 2009
    Future Millionaire

Haha, luckily me and LJ are pretty far apart!! I guess that's the only reason why I'm still finding silver

This fun hobby is helping pay my way through college. Woot woot!!

Anyhoo, did another K in halves today, and made out like a bandit IMO. Got a bunch of odd ones that I've never seen before. I'll try to sort these by the box.

*EDIT* Finally snapped some pics of both boxes. The beautiful backdrop was the shirt I had on earlier in the day. Who ever said that PerryEllis couldn't make a fashionable, yet comfortable dual purpose shirt/backdrop

Box #1: (31) 40% halves
    (4) '64 halves
    (1) '43 Walker (black..... again)
    (1) 2003 S (really caught me offguard, but little did I know what the second box would hold....)

Box #2: (15) 40% halves
    (4) '64 halves
    (1) '58 Franklin (was black, but someone tried to clean it)
    (1) 1986 S "Ellis Island" half
    (1) Bicentennial S - in pretty decent condition for it's age
    (1) 2001 S in AU condition
    (1) 2004 S in almost flawless condition

Overall, I'm happy. I may not have raked in a ton of 90% halves, but this box was definitely the most diverse.

Thanks for being so welcoming!! All of my friends think I'm crazy for doing this - they just can't "see the point". If they only knew what they were missing out on........

DAVE

(40%) Halves - 286
    (90%) Halves - 94
    Rosies - 2
    War Nicks - 3
    Buffalos - 1
    Wheats - 14

us
    Mar 2008
    Michigan
    2 times

Re: New Member, already a CRH'ing addict *Update #2*

Tell you what. With them there kinda finds I'ma gonna move down ther wit ya'll.

Mojo
    CRH Mojo "Thanks For buying American"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors