jackpot! what are the odds?

bag and drag

Jan 20, 2009
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what are the odds of this?
my two weekly boxes came on friday and each had only one silver coin showing on the end of the rolls.
box #1 had a '67 showing and we opened that one first,twas the only silver in that whole box.
box #2 had one franklin showing and hidden inside were 20 walkers,6 bens,14 1964 kennedys and 38 40%ers.wow! not my best box by far but I was happy.
now there are 1000 coins in a box and and by looking at both ends of all rolls you can see 100 of them or 10% of the box so logic would dictate that if you can see 1 AG there should be an average of 10 coins in that box.
I've been doing this for a few years and it seems that the 10% thing is pretty consistant over the long term in that if you can see 4 on the ends you got somewhere around 40 silvers in the box.I guess this is not always the case.
anyone else ever see a pattern with this?

Upvote 0

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More of box #2 please!!! Great score B&D. Congrats. Boxes like that will build a stash quick.

If you have been doing this a few years, where have you been? Holding out on us huh.....j/k. Lets see some pictures please.....love the pictures!!!

Good luck on the next boxes and keep em coming..........

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I have discovered through extensive research and study that if all clad coins are showing on both sides of the rolls, that the contents will be 100%
clad.
In a couple of boxes I did find one or two of those all silver colored coins,the old ones with no copper showing.Fortunately this does not happen too often. :tongue3:

OP
OP
B

bag and drag

Jan 20, 2009
I've been here for the last couple of years,dont post much (ever) due to slow typing and I would rather use my time reading and searching.
WV has been a good state for halves but its alot slower now.

kestrelia

May 9, 2007
Funny you should write about your theory. I just wrote about mine in another post. My rule of thumb is # of silvers showing (tops only) x 10 = silvers in box. Of course this is entirely accurate, but I find that it gives me a good idea of what to expect. Using the silvers showing as a "true sample" doesn't seem to work for me.

Brian

joad

Apr 15, 2009
East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I just searched 2 boxes...the first had 1 silver showing. That was the lone silver in 2000 coins!

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, statistically true. Especially when they are so many silver coins showing in the end of each roll. Here is an eye-candy for you all. 32 of the 50 are silvers. The whole box yielded 651 pieces.

P8090418.JPG

STDevil

Jun 12, 2008
Yinzi50,

Holy moly!!! That is more than my entire stash! I can only bow down to thee, and say congrAGulations. I think even LJ would have to worship you...

May you have many more, and may you use the spoils for something good.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
STDevil said:
Yinzi50,

Holy moly!!! That is more than my entire stash! I can only bow down to thee, and say congrAGulations. I think even LJ would have to worship you...

May you have many more, and may you use the spoils for something good.

Thx, STDevil!
That was a long time ago. I hit a mother lode of 40%ers with only a few 90%ers that single day. Maybe it was a good karma for giving back $500 that a teller over-changed me a few months before that.
I probably created a single day record: 1563 pieces (40%+90%). But LJ is still unbeatable as to overall silver totals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread