Oklahoma experience--is this typical?

Jan 17, 2009
I thought I would try my hand at coin sorting and went to my bank in my small town in Oklahoma. I requested they order a bag of half dollars for me. The teller I spoke to said they did not carry any half dollars. I asked her if they would order some. She refered me to the head teller and I was told they would have to call some person and to come back latter.

When I returned, they advised me that I would need to order $1000.00 worth (2,000 coins). I said that this would be OK with me. I then asked if I could return what coins I didn't want at a latter date. I was told that they did not like half dollars and that they would take them back, but it was very clear they did not like the idea.

So, I don't think this would be something that I could do again. They acted like it was some trouble to order them and didn't like it.

How common is this???? I can go to another small town near me, but I wonder if I would get the same treatment there?

I have one more question. If you had to guess (and I know it is a guess), what percent of silver would you estimate you find when searching large bags?

Thanks for all your help,

Bryan

Upvote 0

jimmy28303

Feb 18, 2009
Williamsburg, VA
First off, welcome to the forum!!! :hello: Now, you have invited the demons of the forum to come out and blast you for taking dump coins back to your pick up bank. Im just warning you, its about to begin. LOL take it with a grain of salt though. they mean well.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome. NEVER take coin back to the same bank you purchase them. After the first time if you want halves they will just sell you the ones you have already searched. Please take time to read the top topic and it will give you most of the answers you need. But never be afraid to ask.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen anywhere from 0 silver per box to 2-3 pieces. I have also seen 20-30. so you never know.

My bank (BofA) will order boxes ($500) in the past I have gotten 2-3 boxes a week. But, I never once took a single half back to that bank.

You best bet is to hit all the small town banks in a several mile radius and ask for customer returned rolls. I do absolutly the best that way. I even ask for "big" dollars and have gotten morgans and a peace.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
If you take the coins back to where you bought them you will be violating one of Mojo's 10 commandments of CRHing.

A good strategy is to first find good "dump" banks that will accept your rejects without giving you grief. Best bet is a bank with a coin counting machine instead of taking in hand rolls if possible.

I have found it is easier to find banks to order halves for me than it is to find banks that will take the rejects without complaining.

Good luck.

Jim

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Have found as much as 38 ounces, 264 coins in a single Box and as few as none in 17 of the now 96 Boxes have searched since starting CRH'ing, it is the luck of the draw really. Spend your coins I do not use paper cash only coins when going shopping- paying bills filling car up with gas etc.

Ju8vP3t

Agreed, according to CRHing etiquette, it's not proper to dump at the same bank you order from, and in some extreme cases, like what happened to me, the dump bank may close your account :dontknow: other than that, Welcome aboard :thumbsup:

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I then asked if I could return what coins I didn't want at a latter date. I was told that they did not like half dollars and that they would take them back, but it was very clear they did not like the idea

May the curse of a solid box of bicentenials be in your future!

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
Piercesdad said:
I then asked if I could return what coins I didn't want at a latter date. I was told that they did not like half dollars and that they would take them back, but it was very clear they did not like the idea

May the curse of a solid box of bicentenials be in your future!
Dam I hated that one, don't know what I did to deserve it neither- never even thought about doin the nasty and there it came a solid box of Bi's (one of them was 40% though sos it still beat a skunk haha).
Go back to the bank (with candy) and tell her you had tripped and hit your head on the way in last time (why you asked that stupid question). Then go to the next town and find a bank with free checking and a coin counter and open an acct to dump at. HH Mark

STDevil

Jun 12, 2008
Do not squat where you eat. How would you feel if someone ordered a box of halves, and then brought them back to you. Eventually, you'd catch on to the fact that there was something worth looking for in the box.

Find a way to treat the banks with respect (even the dump banks), and have fun. The rest will work itself out.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
obediah said:
Have found as much as 38 ounces, 264 coins in a single Box and as few as none in 17 of the now 96 Boxes have searched since starting CRH'ing, it is the luck of the draw really.

Really?...... Reallly Really?...... Only 17 of 96 of your boxes were skunks. Wow. I like your numbers.

I'm runnin probably over 50% skunk ratio.

But all areas are different. Your's and LJ's for example.

Mojo

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
your gonna get that at some banks. some tellers don't like to order coins for customers as it means more work for them. and they certainly don't want to order them if there going to come back and sit in thier vault to be counted over and over again every night until someone else wants them. keep asking different banks, there are plenty out there who will order any amount you want. most will insist you open an account.(it's only fair).then find a bank with a free coin counter in the lobby for your dumps.you may not find one of these in your area and may have to resort to rerolling your dumps to be deposited at a bank you have an account with. that type of bank may not even cash you out but may insist they be counted first and later credited to your account. if you check around enough you should find at least one ordering bank and one dump bank in your area. just don't overdo it. if your getting many boxes per week it pays to split the order among several banks and dump sparingly over several others. you certainly don't want to take advantage of either service. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread