Well Im sure Ive made that teller mad....

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'm sure I've made that teller mad....

Stopped by my local B of A yesterday to make a deposit. After finishing my transaction the teller asked me if there was anything she could do for me. I told her I'd like to buy some half dollars if she had any. She said yes she had $100 dollars worth that someone had dropped off a few days before. I said great I'd like to buy them all. She reaches down and pulls out a tray of halves. Picks one up that has writing on it "Kennedys 65-69 opens it up and out falls 20 silver coins. She rewraps it puts it aside and says I'll keep that one for me. I said excuse me you said you had $100 worth and I'd like to buy them all. She opens a second one with the same label and does the same thing! I said ma'am that isn't right. You told me you had $100 dollars in halves I could buy and I want to buy $100 dollars worth of halves. She puts the remaining rolls up on the counter and says here's $80 and then mutters something about how she needs to get rich too. I was being very polite and told her that what she was doing was wrong and that I should get all the rolls. She said here's $80. I thanked her took the rolls she gave me and went straight to the manager and explained to her what had just transpired. She apologized to me and said yes what the teller did was wrong went around the corner and retrieved the two rolls the teller culled from the tray and sold them to me. Out of the 10 rolls I found 108 40% Kennedys and one 90%. Later that afternoon I stopped by another bank I deal with and told the tellers there what happened. They couldn't believe the gall of the teller to try and pull something like that.

Upvote 0

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Re: Well I'm sure I've made that teller mad....

I had that happen and the manager backed the TELLER. SO I left without the silver. :-(

Good for you that you got it! :-)

wharghoul

May 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD

Sounds like you just added a new dump bank, congratulations! :thumbsup: If she wants to sort through some halves, then give her about $500/wk to sort through.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania

those tellers put a bad taste in my mouth. glad you put her in her place. they act like its thier money and forget that they are there to service customers. :thumbsup:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

wharghoul said:
Sounds like you just added a new dump bank, congratulations! :thumbsup: If she wants to sort through some halves, then give her about $500/wk to sort through.

$500? You are being too kind. When it is necessary to teach a lesson that it is better to be a supply bank versus a dump bank, I like to reinforce the lesson with at least $8000. I get bag treatment at my regular dump bank and it really is hassle free. But on occasion, a teller will get out line with an attitude at a different branch. I'm more than obliged to relieve my regular dump bank of the weekly hassle.

wharghoul

May 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD

Well, I suggested $500 because he'd most likely have to wrap them up and put his acct. # on each roll the way they make me do it around here.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If this teller wanted to CRH, he/she should have bought them themselves when they came in, instead of searching through what is, essentially, YOUR rolls. (JMO)

B

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

wharghoul said:
Well, I suggested $500 because he'd most likely have to wrap them up and put his acct. # on each roll the way they make me do it around here.

There is no way I would have my account number written on the roll. Too much risk for others to gain access to your accounts. If the tellers need to reconcile the count to ensure there is no shortage, then they can place the rolls in a CoinSafe bag and seal it to be counted at a later time. If they don't want to reconcile the count at a later time by it being quarantined from other coinage, then I would patiently wait while the teller unrolled and counted in front of me. Do what you want, but I wouldn't tolerate the risk of having my account number accessible to others who come in and buy the rolls. I've picked up others dumps while on road trips with account numbers and I just shake my head.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008

The only place I have ever seen where it is mandatory to put one's account number on the rolls are in ghetto banks.

OP
OP
SnakemanBill

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

They no longer request account numbers at any of the banks I deal with here. They used to but recently stopped. I still occasionally find a roll or two with numbers on them but usually the tellers will sharpie them out.

wharghoul

May 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD

Rich Hartford said:
The only place I have ever seen where it is mandatory to put one's account number on the rolls are in ghetto banks.

.....and banks in the Deep South. We're kinda backwards down here in case you haven't noticed. Putting the acct. # on the rolls is a mandatory and pretty much standard practice for all the local/regional banks down here.

I buy hand rolls a lot and I always have to wait for the teller to take a black marker and mark through the old acct. numbers.

It's pretty funny, you know you've come across some dumps when the rolls have 3 or 4 black lines down the side.

FingerGrime

Mar 3, 2009
Kentucky

mrs.oroblanco said:
If this teller wanted to CRH, he/she should have bought them themselves when they came in, instead of searching through what is, essentially, YOUR rolls. (JMO)

B

I know! That is sooo not cool for them to suddenly be interested in them as soon as a customer comes in! It irks me greatly!

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am GLAD you went to the manager, that teller needed put in her place!

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well done SMB!!! I am glad you took it a step further and went higher up the food chain. :notworthy: The teller had plenty time to buy those rolls prior to your arrival at that bank. You just don't do that in front of a customer although it has been done before.....I never felt it was right.

I am sure next time she will check any rolls right away and purchase them as soon as she can.

Again, kudos SMB!! Nice job.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

wharghoul said:
Rich Hartford said:

.....and banks in the Deep South. We're kinda backwards down here in case you haven't noticed. Putting the acct. # on the rolls is a mandatory and pretty much standard practice for all the local/regional banks down here.

I buy hand rolls a lot and I always have to wait for the teller to take a black marker and mark through the old acct. numbers.

It's pretty funny, you know you've come across some dumps when the rolls have 3 or 4 black lines down the side.

I guess St. Augustine is far enough south of the "Deep South" to not have this practice. I have received rolls with account numbers and just shake my head at the absurdity of it.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

Diver_Down said:
wharghoul said:
Rich Hartford said:

I guess St. Augustine is far enough south of the "Deep South" to not have this practice. I have received rolls with account numbers and just shake my head at the absurdity of it.

I just picked up someone's dumps today. $200 with each roll labeled with his name and address and his account no. The guy actually used the address labels that you get in the mail. They were re-released with his info in a different district.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions