Just a lil late, but....

pynchinflint

Dec 31, 2007
Bama
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to the bank this morning to drop off some pennies. I asked the tellers the usual question if they had any halves. Of course they said no, which was no surprise. Then one of the tellers said "wait a second the drive thru teller had a guy drop off some silver dollars yesterday". I said are they the big ones and she said "yes the big silver dollars. She has 22 of the dollars and 30 halves".

Now as many of you know, when a teller mentions the big silver dollars, that 3 letter word comes to mind....Ike.

So the counter teller asks the drive thru teller if she still had the dollars. She says "I only have two left and someone bought all the halves this morning". Bummer! Oh well, I have 18 Ike's so far and I guess two more would make a roll. I said I'll take em off your hands for you.

As she was walking to me, she said that she had bought 10 of the dollars for herself and another teller had bought 10 of them. To say the least, I was a little surprised when she dropped these in my hand. So I happily gave her two dollar bills, thanked her kindly, and gleefully walked out the door.

Ohhhhh....if I could have only gotten there earlier....who knows. :dontknow:

Attachments

• eagles.JPG
    eagles.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 316
Upvote 0

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
i don't know much, but those are silver american eagle dollars that weren't circulated?

OP
OP
P

pynchinflint

Dec 31, 2007
Bama
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
d2arcing,

Yes these are silver eagles that are not meant for circulation but these two are marked up a bit. Here is a picture of the reverse for you.

Attachments

• eagles rev.jpg
    eagles rev.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 298

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
very nice! i did see them before in a magazine i believe for sale and ebay, very lucky congrats, probably so rare to get this, i jealous

was talking to assistant manager at work last night about coins, he whipped out a film canister full of silvers, he got a gold plated georgia state quarter... can't believe how people use coins you pay good money for as face value...

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh goodness.....great pickup!! I was thinking Ikes too reading your post. Schweeeet!!!

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
I love it when they hand you something like that. I remember my first walker - came from a tellers tray. I couldn't believe she would just hand it to me like that! Congrats - I look forward to finding one of those from CRH!

Maine_Jim

wharghoul

May 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD
I must be a glass half empty kind of guy. Everybody is rejoicing over the find and only thing that occurred to me was the $300-400 worth of ASEs that got away. I really need to start thinking more positively.....

Great Job :hello2:

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
wharghoul said:
I must be a glass half empty kind of guy. Everybody is rejoicing over the find and only thing that occurred to me was the $300-400 worth of ASEs that got away. I really need to start thinking more positively.....
Great Job :hello2:

Must admit, that was my first thought too.................all those that got away. 8)

Mucho kudos on a great pickup, though !

OP
OP
P

pynchinflint

Dec 31, 2007
Bama
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ju8vP3t said:
I would have offered to buy all of them from the tellers for $3 each... :laughing7: First time I've heard of someone getting SAE's from the bank... :thumbsup: Great Score.. :icon_thumleft:
An offer to buy the tellers coins certainly crossed my mind. I'm very torn about this. First of all, I would let the teller set her price and if it was a good deal, I'd take em. To me we could both come away feeling like it was a good deal. I just wouldn't want to throw a low number out there and have the teller later think that she got ripped off.

Second, if someone would offer me more money than I thought something was worth, a red flag would go up. I would probably say no to an offer first until I did some research. In this case it would be akin to training another CHR'er and we all know (or should know) how costly that can be.

Third, these tellers have always been pretty good to me. I'm sure they don't get paid a whole lot so I say good for them. I may have made a little score but the tellers really came out good.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still searching for smiley face that slaps a teller!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread