did anyone see bill rorchs column in this weeks coin world?

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
did anyone see bill rorch's column in this weeks coin world?

i believe his name is bill rorch, he is a guy that is featured every other month in coin world. he searches rolls of coins and posts his finds. he also has a website, i think it is www.foundinrolls.com. anyway he was talking about halves and how much silver is out there waiting to be found. guess we will have more competition now.

Upvote 0

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: did anyone see bill rorch's column in this weeks coin world?

I haven't seen that. So is he a fulltime CRH'er or just someone who did on article on all of the possibilities of CRh'ing?

Thanks for the info SC.

OP
OP
silvercop

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500

he is one of the guys that dows a column in coinworld magazine every other month. he searches many different coin boxes and posts his finds in his column. he did a story on halves in this last weeks issue. i think he said in his article he does 1 half box a week. check out his webpage---www.foundinrolls.com

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro

Whats he say he finds in his Box search(s)?

OP
OP
silvercop

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500

he posted a pic with silver halves one was a ben.

silvereagle78

Mar 14, 2009
The Burgh PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites SilverEagle

I think there already is alot of new competition out there, in my area two of my really great producing banks turned into someones dumps and my numbers have really taken a spill in the past couple months.

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SC - I just checked out his website. He has some very neat finds.....a great variety of not only U.S. coins, errors, Canadian, world coins, tokens......

Thanks for the info.

FingerGrime

Mar 3, 2009
Kentucky

That's a pretty interesting site, but I'm not sure why he would want to tell others about the hobby...

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

silvercop said:
i believe his name is bill rorch, he is a guy that is featured every other month in coin world. he searches rolls of coins and posts his finds. he also has a website, i think it is www.foundinrolls.com. anyway he was talking about halves and how much silver is out there waiting to be found. guess we will have more competition now.

I hope you realize this was not the first time he has written that. I read an article saying basically the same thing two years ago.

Cherryman68

Feb 19, 2009
Henderson Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites IV

coincrazed said:
What a foolish windbag.I cannot believe he would make a website.

Excuse me, but that's my uncle. I don't appreciate you talking about him like that.

He just wanted to help people and give people a fun hobby they can share with their children. Why would you talk negatively about him where you are here doing the same thing. You sharing your finds encourages others to try it for the first time. I bet If not for Tnet you would never have tried it either for the first time. So are you calling the founders of Tnet and people like Golden silver who share their knowledge with others all the time "foolish windbags"

I'll be sure to let Golden Silver know what you REALLY think of him.

OP
OP
silvercop

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500

well i have to say i could not believe it either when i opened up last weeks issue of coinworld. looks like a true roll hunter would want to keep a low profile and keep his knowledge to himself. talking about it here is alot different than printing it and posting pictures in a circulated hobby magazine. i don't want to encourage anyone in my area to hunt, i already have enough competition already. there is a monster hunter in my area that i am trying to track down and talk with. it seems that he dumps everywhere. he also marks his coins. i want to talk to him to see if it would be possible for us to try and order and dump at the same places. anyway the way the silver has been lately around here the only way you can find 30-40 keepers a week is to do at least 10K a week. not too many people are willing or able to do that much so the johnny come lately's will soon become discouraged and move on.....

Cherryman68

Feb 19, 2009
Henderson Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites IV

Monster? You mean some one who does more than you?

OP
OP
silvercop

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500

that's right. sorry to say. a teller told me that he has his own handtrucks and he does 25K a week from them. he makes a pick up twice a week so he is probably searching about half of the 25K at a time and then dumping. and he dumps all over. he also marks coins with a green sharpie across the face. he has also written cute little messages on the coins. this one coin had a silver edge (someone had spray painted) and when i took it out of the roll there was the words written "NOT ME" in green sharpie. i don't know that much about him other than he is elderly, and he must have some connections because the teller at one bank told me that she lets him in and out the employee entrance with his loads to avoid having to go down the steps in the front lobby.

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bill O'Rourke's been doing a Coin World column longer than the CRH board's been on TNet, so I doubt he'll have much effect on the hobby, unless CW's subscription triples in the next week. He actually posted here a couple years ago. His ID is foundinrolls I think.

In the last year or so he relocated to the Pacific Northwest (Washington, IIRC) so his finds have taken on a west coast feel (more D's & S's). I've read his column for years and it sounds like has some good bank contacts. I never hear him talk about some of the problems we encounter (fees, grouchy tellers, etc.). He quite a coin scholar too. He know his errors and double dies.

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT

I don't think his website has been updated in a while either...I could be wrong though. I remember seeing a lot of those coins a number of years ago on his website. The shield nickels stuck in my mind as particularly cool finds. Problem is he doesn't list what year they were pulled from a roll.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan

I agree with silvercop on the newbies "not too many people are willing or able to do that much so the johnny come lately's will soon become discouraged and move on....."

It takes a special breed to continue at this when confronted with some of the issues we encounter.

Shortages, Multiple Skunks, Grouchy Tellers, Dumping, Expenses, Fee's to name a few.

Mojo

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

coinmojo said:
I agree with silvercop on the newbies "not too many people are willing or able to do that much so the johnny come lately's will soon become discouraged and move on....."

It takes a special breed to continue at this when confronted with some of the issues we encounter.

Shortages, Multiple Skunks, Grouchy Tellers, Dumping, Expenses, Fee's to name a few.

Mojo

Issues:
Shortages...
occasional, but rarely more than a couple coins.

Multiple skunks...
very few skunks here, though I don't do just halves so that helps.

Grouchy tellers...
not often, but I do occasionally find one on a road trip. I do live in Minnesota, so maybe tha is part of it... ::)

Dumping...
I do have to deal with a lot of that with my volume, the length of my daily commute brings me by numerous branches of my dump bank so at least I can spread it out...try not to dump more than once a month at any one branch.

Expenses...
Minimal unless I take a raod trip as my pickup banks don't require much outside of my daily commute and dumping isn't much worse.

Fees...
Have yet to pay one.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan

G Man

You are one of the "Special Breed" I was referring too.

Your in it to win it.

Mojo

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What I was getting at is that I haven't really experienced many of the "issues" you list other than dumping which is just part of the process.

Then again, I was also CRHing long before TNet even existed....just not with as much variety or volume.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread