Germ killer

nyiangelo

Feb 19, 2007
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro
So today I was buying some 55 gallon drums to store up some drinking water. I got them from a tortilla factory. Me and the owner were talking about killing the germs in the water. My plan was to use a bleach/water ratio. He tells me " Hey you should get a silver dollar or half dollar and drop it the drum" Apparently in Mexico people throw one in their cisterns so it will kill all the bacteria in the water. Then he goes on to say how hard it would be to find a silver coin. ;D But I've never heard of that was curious if anyone else has. I know silver has many medical uses. Just never heard of an old tale like that.

Upvote 0

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac
wharghoul said:
Piercesdad said:
Ok now I just heard on CBS news that the Silver fillings I have in my mouth could be making me sick! I'm soooo confused I'm gonna stick to porcelin...Anybody got an old toilet they're not using :help:

Ok PD, you forced me take this even further off topic. In fact, I'm taking it one space over and one space down. :icon_scratch:

I believe it's the mercury that's used in amalgam fillings that's believed to cause illness/disease, not the silver. (The FDA says they're not harmful at all :wink:)

Please don't report me to the off-topic police.

Hey, how about those Yankees? Pennant material?

wharghoul

May 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD
davew0710 said:
wharghoul said:
Piercesdad said:
Ok now I just heard on CBS news that the Silver fillings I have in my mouth could be making me sick! I'm soooo confused I'm gonna stick to porcelin...Anybody got an old toilet they're not using :help:

Ok PD, you forced me take this even further off topic. In fact, I'm taking it one space over and one space down. :icon_scratch:

I believe it's the mercury that's used in amalgam fillings that's believed to cause illness/disease, not the silver. (The FDA says they're not harmful at all :wink:)

Please don't report me to the off-topic police.

Hey, how about those Yankees? Pennant material?

Not much for baseball these days, I'm a purist so the last 10-15 years has really bummed me out.

This could be like playing "6 degrees of Kevin Bacon"....We could go as far off topic as possible and then try to find commonalities that link us back to CRH.

Let's see, The Yankees.....The Golden Era of Baseball......Gold/Silver ratio....CRH for silver....see, that was easy. Now it's your turn.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you capitalize that it would be the BIG EASY...the BIG EASY is in Louisiana the home of LJ.

NEXT!

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any one wants to read more about silver:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver#Medicine

Because silver is toxic to lower organisms, I do keep a silver coin which I found by CRHing with me all the time. I hope it kills all the germs on my clothes.

P7291493.JPG

ScoobaSteve

Nov 28, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTX500
nyiangelo said:
So today I was buying some 55 gallon drums to store up some drinking water. I got them from a tortilla factory. Me and the owner were talking about killing the germs in the water. My plan was to use a bleach/water ratio. He tells me " Hey you should get a silver dollar or half dollar and drop it the drum" Apparently in Mexico people throw one in their cisterns so it will kill all the bacteria in the water. Then he goes on to say how hard it would be to find a silver coin. ;D But I've never heard of that was curious if anyone else has. I know silver has many medical uses. Just never heard of an old tale like that.

The relevance to Coin Roll Hunting is in the 1st post. " Apparently in Mexico people throw one in their cisterns so it will kill all the bacteria in the water "
I think I'm going to go CRHing in Mexico, seems that there is a lot of silver in those fountains.

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008
Felinepeachy said:
Ingesting too much silver causes a condition known as Argyria. It turns your skin a blueish gray. This doesn't happen as often now as it used to in the old days but some people are still getting it from using too much of that colloidal silver stuff.

She looks like the tinman! ;D

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
I have also heard that in the old days, farmers would throw a silver dollar in the milk cans when they were put on the wagon to haul to town. Supposed to keep the milk from spoiling during the trip.

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wharghoul said:

Yep. When I had my amalgam fillings removed and replaced with composite(they were shrinking and allowing cavities to form behind them), I had to sign a release showing I was told about the risk of the removal possibly releasing mercury into me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread