Germ killer

nyiangelo

Feb 19, 2007
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro
So today I was buying some 55 gallon drums to store up some drinking water. I got them from a tortilla factory. Me and the owner were talking about killing the germs in the water. My plan was to use a bleach/water ratio. He tells me " Hey you should get a silver dollar or half dollar and drop it the drum" Apparently in Mexico people throw one in their cisterns so it will kill all the bacteria in the water. Then he goes on to say how hard it would be to find a silver coin. ;D But I've never heard of that was curious if anyone else has. I know silver has many medical uses. Just never heard of an old tale like that.

Upvote 0

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I have read that in the civil war, a silver coin was sometimes placed on a wound (such as a bullet hole) until medical treatment could be given. There are lots of articles about silver being a "germ killer". That is why silverware was made from silver, so as to fight against germs. I know that certain medical instruments have silver to fight infection.

Don't know if I would trust a silver coin in my drinking water supply though. ??? I have some store bought gallon containers with water stored, but I rotate it out and drink it (has a 2 year shelf life). I don't trust water from the faucet for drinking not because of the treatment it gets at the plant, but because of the off taste and the miles of pipes it has to travel through to get to my house. I buy what is labeled as "spring water" from the grocery store. It is not expensive and tastes great. It may turn out to be poisonous long term but what can you do.

Jim

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC
Silver and Copper used to be added to water barrels. Silver would kill bacteria and copper would kill any chance of algea. I used to drive a water truck and used scrap copper pipe just thrown in the tank to prevent algea. First stop on leaving that job was to sell the 65 pounds of copper pipe accumilated... lol.

QuickDraw22

Jul 13, 2009
Future Millionaire
Go to the Survival section of AR15.com - they steer everyone in the right direction.

For me, I would first fill the barrel with water, and add a cup (nothing too exact) of Pool Shock to the barrel. Let it sit in the sun for a few days. Drain the water, refill, make sure you don't taste anything funny, add your chlorine (or pool shock), and store in a cool/dry/dark place.

Hope this helps ya :icon_thumright:

DAVE

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac
QuickDraw22 said:
davew0710 said:
And how does this apply to Coin Roll Hunting?????

How does a thread about LJ's awesomeness apply to Coin Roll Hunting??

It doesn't, but no one cares :laughing9:

It doesn't in the strictest sense. But at least the topic relates to CRH ing. The silver in water has no relevancy.

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac
mistergee said:
the fact that its about silver makes it somewhat relevant.

Then he should cross post it on just about every thread here. Silver is relevant to most of them. Your stretching this further than I can stretch silly putty.

Cherryman68

Feb 19, 2009
Henderson Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites IV
What crawled up your leg?

That's very good information about what we can do with coins we find CRHing.

Maybe you and coin crazed can get together and make a "we don't like lj or off topic posts, because we are the killers of fun"

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
I found it very interesting and thought provoking.

I had never heard about the silver in the water, and enjoyed this post.

Silver is the object of our search. So a topic like this is relevent.

nyiangelo is a regular poster here.

This forum is all things related to CRH and the people who post here. It's our forum.

I am guilty of going off subject at times. but we stay on CRH'g for the most part.

Mojo

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
Then he should cross post it on just about every thread here. Silver is relevant to most of them. Your stretching this further than I can stretch silly putty.
Sorry you are unable to see the relevance. perhaps you should go back to your silly putty.

STDevil

Jun 12, 2008
Who cares if this is "directly related" or not. The post related to silver, and cleanliness, and it's just good clean fun.

I found it interesting, so keep the knowledge commin'!

Happy hunting

OP
OP
nyiangelo

nyiangelo

Feb 19, 2007
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro
Felinepeachy said:
I would hardly count Mexico as the authority on decontaminating water.

I laughed when I saw this. Because it has some what of a truth. But..... there are a lot of old remedies out there that may seem bizarre to us. But have been used by our ancestors for generations. In the article below they are minting copper-silver coins specifically to throw into the rivers in India for water pollution.

I thought the original info was interesting and was sure some of the others here would too.

http://www.copper.org.sg/v2/index.p...ins_in_rivers_may_help_reduce_water_pollution

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac
Cherryman68 said:
What crawled up your leg?
That's very good information about what we can do with coins we find CRHing.
Maybe you and coin crazed can get together and make a "we don't like lj or off topic posts, because we are the killers of fun.

mistergee said:
so if silver is such a germ killer then how come our halfs are so filthy :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

coinmojo said:
I found it very interesting and thought provoking.
I had never heard about the silver in the water, and enjoyed this post.
Silver is the object of our search. So a topic like this is relevent.
nyiangelo is a regular poster here.
This forum is all things related to CRH and the people who post here. It's our forum.
I am guilty of going off subject at times. but we stay on CRH'g for the most part.
Mojo
:laughing9: :laughing9:

You guys are sure thin skinned.
I never made any references to LJ. what she does is spectacular.
I still don't see how dropping hunk of silver or copper relates to CRHing.

quote author=mistergee link=topic=261219.msg1864211#msg1864211 date=1248882156]
so if silver is such a germ killer then how come our halfs are so filthy :icon_scratch: :dontknow:
[/quote]

That isn't dirt.......it's the eggs of the silveritis bug.....BEWARE!!! :tongue3:

DAMN...I'm off topic now :laughing9:

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac
Felinepeachy said:
Ingesting too much silver causes a condition known as Argyria. It turns your skin a blueish gray. This doesn't happen as often now as it used to in the old days but some people are still getting it from using too much of that colloidal silver stuff.
Looks like the last girl I dated

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok now I just heard on CBS news that the Silver fillings I have in my mouth could be making me sick! I'm soooo confused I'm gonna stick to porcelin...Anybody got an old toilet they're not using :help:

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac
Piercesdad said:
Ok now I just heard on CBS news that the Silver fillings I have in my mouth could be making me sick! I'm soooo confused I'm gonna stick to porcelin...Anybody got an old toilet they're not using :help:

I have just been authorized to act as a silver filling hazardous waste recycling site......send all of your old silver fillings to me.

BTW......gold fillings are much more dangerous :laughing9:

wharghoul

May 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD
Piercesdad said:

Ok PD, you forced me take this even further off topic. In fact, I'm taking it one space over and one space down. :icon_scratch:

I believe it's the mercury that's used in amalgam fillings that's believed to cause illness/disease, not the silver. (The FDA says they're not harmful at all :wink:)

Please don't report me to the off-topic police.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread