Started Hunting Nickels!!

QuickDraw22

Jul 13, 2009
Future Millionaire
Well, I mowed through 3K in halves in less than a day, and the bank won't be getting their next shipment for me until Monday. With time to kill, I decided to grab a box of Nickels to sort through.

Unfortunately, I don't know "exactly" what to keep :laughing9:

I sorted out a ton of Pre-64/65's, and had 3 War Nickels.

What are the "good" dates to keep for silver, and when did the clads come into play??

Thanks a bunch guys!!!

Your fellow firearms enthusiast,
DAVE

Upvote 0

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
nickles are fun because you always wind up with keepers. i usually hold all pre-1960. those 1964's had a high mintage and you will soon run out of room for anything else if you keep all you find.
of course you want the shield nickles and the buffalos and look for the low mintage ones. you can see them here.
http://www.bestcoin.com/jefferson-nickel-mintage.htm
you also want to check the really nice ones for "full steps".thats when all 5 or 6 steps are complete and unbroken.
there are also several errors to look for like the 3 legged buffalo, off centers, double dies.....there are many more. perhaps someone here who knows thier nickel errors can help.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is what I keep: any pre-60 that is near uncirculated, nickels with minatages under 10 million, or, are hard to find:
1938 P,S,D
1939 S,D (The D being especially rare) (also, p may be worth holding on to if you are so inclined)
1941> look for the large s variety, look online for pictures, or compare nickels and look for a larger S
1948 S
1949 S
1950 P,D (D being the rarest of all the jeferson nickels)
1951 S

Also, consider buying a variety book, such as "How to strike it rich with pocket change" or "Cherrypickers' guide"

I have been going through nickels for about a year and a half and have come across 1 1890 V nickel, over two rolls of buffalos (including all 1913 type 1 mints), and 10 rolls of war nickels. Last time I averaged it, it was 1 war nickel per box, and a buffalo at about every three. Also, I have gotten some pretty rare varieties, such as several 1941 large S and 1954 S over D

HH
-GC

OP
OP
QuickDraw22

QuickDraw22

Jul 13, 2009
Future Millionaire
coincrazed said:
By the way,I love guns too.What's your opinion on the ammo shortage?Good luck. - coincrazed

Everyone hates it. Being me, and my previous shooting habits, I REALLY hate it.

I usually go through 30,000 rounds of .22 every year. I'm hellbent against shooting out of my "stock", so until the stores get some back on the shelves, I'm staying away from the range.

My father was one of the top 3 shooters in the US for Bullseye Pistol (when they used real guns) back in the 70's. I'm attempting to follow in his steps, but it's hard to train when no one even KNOWS what target grade .38 is.

Luckily, we just bought a fully stocked Dillon 550B, so I'm going to pick up reloading for 9mm, .38/.357, .40, .44MAG, .45ACP, .50AE, and .223/5.56mm. Now all I've got to get is a press for .50BMG............

Glad to hear you support our 2nd Amendment, Coincrazed!!

DAVE

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
QuickDraw22 said:
As far as silver nickels go they were in production between 1942-1945.

Attachments

• war-nickels-sliver.jpg
    war-nickels-sliver.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 240
  • nickel.jpg
    nickel.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 241
OP
OP
QuickDraw22

QuickDraw22

Jul 13, 2009
Future Millionaire
Rich Hartford said:
"One Drop" will be taking all your guns away so you won't need any bullets :dontknow:

There are more than a few of us who have some "forgotten" firearms for the future metal detectorists to find, if you catch my drift........

Besides, a firearms ban will never EVER happen, especially down here in Louisiana. Our laws are so loose, that there is zero way to see who owns what. If they decide to get froggy and demand me to surrender my firearms, I'll give them the bullets first :icon_pirat:

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also, 1942 D (nickel) and 1955- don't forget that the mint is on the right of montecello

HH
-GC

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Low mintages or for some reason or another hard to come by...I forgot them in my first post

HH
-GC

OP
OP
QuickDraw22

QuickDraw22

Jul 13, 2009
Future Millionaire
Thanks,my man.That sure is a LOT of ammo you use.I'm all for freedom,and it's great to have someone who appreciates guns on here.As for nickels,keep all war nickels,the 1942 d,all nickels before 1940,and of course,the 1950 d.Good luck,my man,and have fun. - coincrazed
[/quote]

I've got to get my practice in somehow!! Besides, it's too easy to burn up a brick of ammo every time I go to the range. Now if I could only find a K-frame S&W in .22 to save on my .38 ammo..........

Thanks for the advice on the nickels, will be sure to keep those!!

DAVE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread