Is this thing really made in 1789?

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just found this in a half box; Sounds different and weighs only 9.7g. Does it worth more than 50c?

P7301494.JPG

P7301494.JPG

Attachments

• P7301495.JPG
    P7301495.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 414
Upvote 0

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is similiar to the post-colonial issue in front of the red book but I don't see that exact reverse or date in the Redbook. I will continue looking. It is so close to the 1791 cent. The "one cent" is missing on the reverse though. They don't show one for 1789?? The wings & tail feathers look different too along with the olive branch in the talon.

The ones in the Redbook about that same time are high dollar coins.

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
just found it in the redbook. it seems you have found a post colonial large cent, or half penny. redbook has the listed in fine condition at over 500 bucks, if it is real that would be quite a find

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
http://www.alextimes.com/news/2009/jan/22/george-washington-commemorative-coin-fou/

This month, the Alexandria Archaeology Museum identified a small token excavated 10 years ago in Alexandria as a 1797 medal commemorating George Washington. This artifact will be featured in “Hail to the Chief,” a new mini-exhibition at the museum now open in honor of the recent presidential inauguration, as well as Presidents Day and the George Washington Birthday Parade in February. The exhibit will be open through Tuesday, March 31.

Alexandria archaeologists excavated the George Washington medal in 1998 at Shuter’s Hill, the site of the George Washington Masonic National Memorial. The heavily tarnished disk was examined in the laboratory, where a silhouette of Washington was visible on one side and events associated with Washington were listed on the other. There was nothing to indicate the date of the medal, so it was conserved and stored with other artifacts from the site.

Early this year, prompted by interest in the inauguration, archaeologists retrieved the medal and began to research its history. They consulted Louis Jordan, a numismatic expert, who was able to accurately identify it as a George Washington Baker 66 Medal from 1797.

This medal is among other locally excavated artifacts and historic images featured in “Hail to the Chief,” an exhibit that showcases American presidents, including Washington, Andrew Jackson, Abraham Lincoln and William Henry Harrison

:headbang: You bet it is worth a hell of a lot more than $.50 looks like you have a part of early american history. :headbang:

OP
OP
Yinzi50

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silvercop said:
just found it in the redbook. it seems you have found a post colonial large cent, or half penny. redbook has the listed in fine condition at over 500 bucks, if it is real that would be quite a find

Hi, SC:

Do you have the 2009 copy of Redbook? I can't find it in my 2009 Redbook.

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
the reverse resembles the coin on page 55 at the top, but it looks more like the coin on page 77 at the toop to me although it does not show a listing for one minted in 1789. i am beginning to believe that this may be some kind of reproduction or a token??? i hope it is real but i can't find an exact match in the redbook, i will keep looking

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
you may have a high valuible token *or older era coin ---handle with great care ---warning --do not "clean" it !!! you will ruin its value if you do.

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
you need to take it to a high end coin shop and get them to look at it. i am sorry i could not be any help, but i am just not familiar with coins that old. i have never seen one. i hope it is genuine.

OP
OP
Yinzi50

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LJ said:
It is similiar to the post-colonial issue in front of the red book but I don't see that exact reverse or date in the Redbook. I will continue looking. It is so close to the 1791 cent. The "one cent" is missing on the reverse though. They don't show one for 1789?? The wings & tail feathers look different too along with the olive branch in the talon.

The ones in the Redbook about that same time are high dollar coins.

Thanks LJ for looking up. You are right about how close it is to the 1791 cent. It was very coarsely made so I suspect it was a reproduction. But I don't know how a colonial coin should look like. I will keep it as a copper token anyway.

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
hey yinz. take it to someone that is trust worthy and have them look at it. it would be interesting to see if a dealer would offer you anything for it. if he does i would get another opinion before i sold it because if he offers to buy it that would tell me that it is genuine

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
I'm not an expert but if the edges appear to have a seam it could be a reproduction and casted. There are reproductions of the first colonial coins made from pewter & bronze and the edges are bumpy and not smooth and have a seam if you know what I mean.

Mojo

OP
OP
Yinzi50

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coinmojo said:
I'm not an expert but if the edges appear to have a seam it could be a reproduction and casted. There are reproductions of the first colonial coins made from pewter & bronze and the edges are bumpy and not smooth and have a seam if you know what I mean.

Mojo

Yes, it does have a seam. Thanks Mojo! So does a reproduction worth more than 50c?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
heck I think its worth more than 50 cent --I'lll give you a buck for it --(2) 40% silver halves even if its a modern "copy"

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Yinzi50 said:
coinmojo said:

Mojo

Yes, it does have a seam. Thanks Mojo! So does a reproduction worth more than 50c?

I would think it should have some value depends on when or how many were produced. I actually have one of those 1776 colonial reproduction coins I spoke of, and thought it was a $16,000 coin till I showed it to the coin dealer in my area. He showed me the edge and said it was a repo based on the seam around the edge.
I should dig it out and take some photo's. It had me completely fooled when I first looked it up. My Bro In Law found it in his attic walls when he remodeled a 1930's home in Hamtramick Mi. He gave that coin to me a couple years back along with a 1896 2 cent coin and some token dated 1812 If I remember correctly.

Mojo

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
2009 red book page 77- 79 is the closest that I saw.
They look close but your coin has GEORGE on the overs none of the others did. some the date is on the reverse others overs it may be the only surviving coin like it who knows keep investigating until you are for certain what you have.

In my favorites on youtube there is a woman that found a treasure little larger than a postage stamp was going to sell it to the British museum for around 3k pounds the then stated value of the treasure by the museum appraiser but the museum didn't have enough money to buy it, so she decided to take it to an auction house the auction house appraised it at 250k pounds enough for her to pay off her house. Be patient people hand over millions for less than the cost of lunch off the 99 cent menu because they didn't take the time to find out what they had.

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
Be patient people hand over millions for less than the cost of lunch off the 99 cent menu because they didn't take the time to find out what they had.

that is what i was trying to say.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread