Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Dec 2008
    rome, ga

Great way to clean halves or silver coins this stuff really works.

Anybody tried the silver wipes for jewelry? You can get it at wallyworld this stuff will make it look like a proof no joke. I tried it today on some halves most came out with a mirror look.

us
    Mar 2009
    Kentucky

Re: Great way to clean halves or silver coins this stuff really works.

Please don't touch any of my coins with that stuff...

Apr 2008
    150 times

This will ruin any numismatic value a coin may have. If it is junk silver and you just want to make it look better than it's OK. But a better choice is a good "dip" such as EZest, which I have dipped some .999 silver rounds and they still show a "cartwheel" effect afterwards if not overdone. This cartwheel effect is what some people look for to see if a coin still has any "luster" on it. But I would not do anything to a coin if it was numismatic in anyway.

Jim
    R.I.P. Rich Hartford

us
    Dec 2008
    rome, ga

I know bout the "don't clean your coins" theory. It doesn't effect the value as long as you don't hurt the mint luster or produce scratches on the coins. Here's some pics judge for yourself please please show me the scratches or where I hurt the value.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0062.JPG 
Views:	208 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	317754   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0065.JPG 
Views:	208 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	317755  

us
    Dec 2008
    rome, ga

I posted 2 pics one is from the cleaning method and the other are just coins that happen to be in good shape.

Dec 2007
    5 times

I clean some of the 40s and the 90s when they look to bad. (it's junk silver) The way I figure it they are being sold in bulk or going in the smelter.
    Just so you know a professional can tell when a coin has been cleaned, Double check and only clean coins that have no value.
    Just my two cents.

Jim is right, a dip will not take out the cartwheel effect, unlike the wipe.

Have fun
    Bill H

us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    994 times
    silver surfing

I have used a premium chem dip on some silver coin. Hurt the value? May actually increase value as I have not been able to tell the difference between some dipped Kennedy halves and a BU coin. ffd

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2008
    St. Augustine, FL
    745 times

Jimmy, note the "gunk" left behind by the rim. A tell tale sign that it has been cleaned. But who cares? When you are dealing with Junk Silver, it really doesn't matter. Their is no numismatic value. The ones with numismatic value have all been taken from mint/proof sets. Perhaps in 50 years, there will be more value to these common coins. If you like the cleaned coins and aren't doing it deceive buyers, then it doesn't matter so long as you enjoy your coins. And for those that wish to defend the rights of future generations of coin buyers, always assume that raw coins have been cleaned at some point in their lifespan. For those that think otherwise, they are naive or not being honest with themselves.

Apr 2008
    150 times

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy@romega
    I know bout the "don't clean your coins" theory. It doesn't effect the value as long as you don't hurt the mint luster or produce scratches on the coins. Here's some pics judge for yourself please please show me the scratches or where I hurt the value.

Not that it really matters, because most likely you will never get more than "junk silver" value for your halves, but any coin dealer (and many collectors with experience) can spot a cleaned coin a mile away. Although I don't mess much with silver coins from a buying perspective (I stick to silver bullion bars/rounds), I have learned over the years how to spot a cleaned gold coin in an instant.

If you are using silver wipes, you are removing some of the surface layers which will affect luster-which is a type of surface finish created when the coin is struck under such great pressure and cannot be restored once it is gone. The dips contain mild acids that also affect the surface layers, but not as much as some silver polishes. This is just my humble opinion. But you should do what makes you happy since you got the coins for face value anyway.

Jim
    R.I.P. Rich Hartford

Oct 2007
    Hampton Roads, VA.
    bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
    18 times
    Banner Finds (1)

That is pretty cool. I might do that to my 40% when I am bored and have some extra time. Love to see the shine.

Golden Silver

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors