fisher2

Mar 20, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
idk why they're rusty but i like the 81 on the far right looks proof

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
One time when I was at a local coin dealer's store I saw a big stash of old silver dollars he had bought. They had been buried for over 50 years, and many looked like the discolored halves in your picture. Some also had a light green type of color to them in spots.

Jim

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
I think they could be Katrina Coins. It could be possible that all the black halves or rusty halves could be turned in from a large collection or several collections that were in water logged areas. :dontknow: It could also be a large stash turned in that was in a fire. Lj could probably state if they look burnt or not. They look it to me. Just an idea.

Golden Silver

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey OM....nice pile of silver there!! I have been finding some of the black and rusty halves as well. I took a few to a coin dealer to inquire as to his thoughts. It was his opinion and a couple more guys in the coin shop that they are salt water damaged.

One of the guys took one of my Walkers to a coin show a couple of weekends ago to show a gentleman that was going to be there & is very knowledgeable on the subject and he said the same thing. So they have been termed "Katrina" coins.

I am trying to figure out how they are being found in different parts of the country ??? ???

Anyway, nice haul and keep em coming..........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions