Anyone searching......

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Anyone searching hand rolled quarters for silver? If so,are you finding more of them lately ?
The dime boxes I've been getting lately produce less keepers per box and more skunks.
My son who buys hand rolled dimes has been averaging 2-3 per fifty dollars which is way up there (at least in my limited experience). I'm wondering about the quarters.
Today I noticed 8 silver quarters in a tellers tray. Last week I noticed some in another bank.

Upvote 0

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
This spring as I bought a $500 sack of hr dimes, the teller told me that he had just pulled a solid roll of silver quarters, took 'em home and threw em in the drawer. I should have made an offer. ffd

OmegaMan

Dec 9, 2007
Rich
The teller at one of my banks last month saved me several rolls
of all silver quarters, besides that nothing else not even in the
tellers tray. It gets depressing going through all those quarters
and not finding a single one.

The hand rolls of dimes are better than the boxes, but that's just me.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
quarters are brutally hard to find silver in with all the statehoods and new quarters coming out. that and the fact they are big so people recognize and hold onto them.
BUT....lately we have been hearing of more being found.....so maybe the economy is forcing people to cash in there coins. :dontknow:

Seajay

Jul 6, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, Garrett's CX w/Bloodhound, GTA 500, Whites PI
Rich, tried it and came up empty. Started making change at the local car washes and got plenty of states quarters out of the machines, but not one silver quarter! I do better with change spent by students going thru the lunch line here at school. The occasional siver dime turns up with some wheat cents throughout the school year.

Seajay

kestrelia

May 9, 2007
I go through lots of hand rolled quarters and haven't noticed any improvement as of late. In 2009 I've searched 257,920 and have found 38 US silver quarters and two Canadian 80% silver quarters. That's about one silver quarter for every three boxes searched. I haven't found any silver quarter hoards in 2009 that would skew these numbers northwards.

Brian

My three year breakdown is

2007 - 156,320 - found 26 silver quarters - .0166%
2008 - 281,240 - found 45 silver quarters - .0160%
2009 - 257,920 - found 40 silver quarters - .0155%

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
quarters are brutally hard to find silver in with all the statehoods and new quarters coming out. that and the fact they are big so people recognize and hold onto them.
BUT....lately we have been hearing of more being found.....so maybe the economy is forcing people to cash in there coins.

That's what I think is going on more people are cashing in their coins. Since the end of June I've been picking up more silver than I ever did. My half dollar boxes,although far from dream boxes are giving up more 90's than 40's as well. I'm also finding more rolled halves not necessarily with silver, but more than before.

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I go through lots of hand rolled quarters and haven't noticed any improvement as of late. In 2009 I've searched 257,920 and have found 38 US silver quarters and two Canadian 80% silver quarters. That's about one silver quarter for every three boxes searched. I haven't found any silver quarter hoards in 2009 that would skew these numbers northwards.

Brian

My three year breakdown is

2007 - 156,320 - found 26 silver quarters - .0166%
2008 - 281,240 - found 45 silver quarters - .0160%
2009 - 257,920 - found 40 silver quarters - .0155%
Brian,

Thanks for your post on this topic. Your breakdown on finds is very interesting. Lots of work to get those quarters.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 3-year breakdown on quarters

2007 - 105,799 - found 13 silver quarters - .0123%
2008 - 47,749 - found 5 silver quarters - .0105% (+2 silver canadians)
2009 - 70,001 - found 29 silver quarters - .0414% (+2 silver canadians)

My numbers have improved greatly in 2009, but a majority of my quarters came from 2 bags.

Without those two bags, my percentages in 2009 are right in line with 2007.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich Hartford said:
Gman

Do you just look through bags?

Rich

Almost exclusively with the exception of halves which I will occasionally order a box or two or pick up some machine rolls while on a road trip. Other than that, I have enough trouble keeping up with the bags I pick up weekly to bother with buying boxes or rolls otherwise.

I have my few weekly stops to pick up bags that are generally not way out of my way. I like bags because the abnk is happy to get rid of them because they just pay to ship them off anyway so I can buy in volume without worry about them getting upset with me. Some days I walk out with the equivalent of 6 to 10 boxes worth of coins in one stop, sometimes more, sometimes less. Just depends on who cashed in there that week.

By using this method I have also generally avoided picking up someone's dumps (though it has happened) meaning the bags are usually pretty consistent with the occasional low or occasional high find rate.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread