$100 in pennies-OFF CENTER CENT PICTURE POSTED!

ronbo22

Oct 31, 2008
Florida
Picked up 2 bags of pennies today and the numbers were decent 38 wheats (1918,1929,1936S notabale dates) and the rest were all Whitman Book 2 variety (1941-1958). The best find was a 1974 95% off center strike with just the 74 of the date and "MERICA" on the back showing. Ebay shows a range of selling prices of $7-12.

Attachments

• Penny Front.JPG
    Penny Front.JPG
    5.2 KB · Views: 541
  • Penny Back.JPG
    Penny Back.JPG
    6.2 KB · Views: 715
Upvote 0

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: $100 in pennies

That is actually a pretty rare example of an offstrike. People who collect offstrikes want as much of the coin missing while still keeping the date. From you drescription, you offstrike would be extreamly collectable, probably more than the price you think

HH
-GC

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I would have it graded (NGC, PCGS, etc) as an error. Having it graded and encapsulated may increase the value/price if you want to sell. Great find by the way.

OP
OP
ronbo22

ronbo22

Oct 31, 2008
Florida
My only thoughts are how it survived in the wild for 35 years or how did it get reintroduced back into "society"?

silvereagle78

Mar 14, 2009
The Burgh PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites SilverEagle
Re: $100 in pennies

goldencoin said:
That is actually a pretty rare example of an offstrike. People who collect offstrikes want as much of the coin missing while still keeping the date. From you drescription, you offstrike would be extreamly collectable, probably more than the price you think

HH
-GC

I agree. that is one awsome offstrike, it doesn't get better than that, along with some nice early date wheats, sounds like a winner to me :thumbsup: :icon_thumright: :thumbsup:

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
That's a wonderful off strike. Wonderful.

That is one of the best I have ever seen. And even with the date in there, but not much else. Wonderful.

I'd definitely get that graded and slabbed. And not take the first price offered if you sell it. That is something sellable at Heritage coin auctions. You might be VERY surprised how well it sold (If you ever sell it). Because it is so far off center.

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ronbo - No doubt you found a winner there!! Congrats. I agree with the others about getting it slabbed. To me, that seems like the PERFECT offstrike coin.

Kudos!!! Well done.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
they don't get any more off center than that :thumbsup:
i saw lots of them on ebay and yours is better than any i saw there. they ranged from around $3 to $35....there was an off center steel penny and that was going for $124

OP
OP
ronbo22

ronbo22

Oct 31, 2008
Florida
mistergee said:
they don't get any more off center than that :thumbsup:
i saw lots of them on ebay and yours is better than any i saw there. they ranged from around $3 to $35....there was an off center steel penny and that was going for $124

Thanks for checking it out for me.

Fredness

Jul 16, 2009
I'm a big of-center/error fan - worth some money.
The date is key, if an off-center strike has the date it is far more valuable. Also, the less there is of the coin, the better.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find for sure!!! Toss that baby in your collection cause you aren't gonna find another one like that ever!!!! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread