I was a the coin dealer shop today

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coin dealer in my area is selling rolls of 40% at $49 each roll
I was disappointed to see so many Certified Ben's in MS condition.
The ones we find are not even close to those MS 63 and higher

Who here has found in circulation MS condition coins while CRH???

DW

Upvote 0

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Mistergee

Found 16 rolls of 1963 Ben Franklin's. In their original bank rolls.

See his avatar.

Some one else recently found a bunch mint Kennedy rolls.

I have found lots of coins that in my opinion should grade MS63

Mojo

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Darth Walker said:
Coin dealer in my area is selling rolls of 40% at $49 each roll
I was disappointed to see so many Certified Ben's in MS condition.
The ones we find are not even close to those MS 63 and higher

Who here has found in circulation MS condition coins while CRH???

DW

I would go for volume over quality with the halves. There are lots and lots of high MS graded Franklins out there, especially later dates. Don't waste your money buying them unless it is close to spot. I once found a PCGS 1963 MS 64 Franklin in the 50% off as marked box at one of my coin dealers--I got it for 8 bucks. Somebody probably paid $18-$30 to send it to PCGS to be graded and I got it for $8, so yes it was worth it.

Most coins that have made it into a coin counting machine are not gonna grade MS anymore. They may be AU, or close to BU and otherwise in good shape, but chances are they have been "circulated" somehow and if sent to a reputable grading service would not get MS grades. I have seen AU coins that were slabbed that actually looked better than lower grade MS due to toning, bag marks, etc. The better grading companies can tell if a coin has "rub" marks on it, any wear on the highest points, etc.

If you can get them in the original mint rolls that is obviously a different situation.

Many people with high grade coins don't realize how bad it is to "fondle" them, thus their natural luster gets compromised.

PS I would never buy 40%ers, ever, unless they were almost free. 90%ers are a different story. Refiners pay way less for lower percentage pieces. The only reason premiums are decent on 40%ers now is because of investment demand. Some people out there are buying junk bags of 40% for some reason, so dealers are paying fairly well for them so they can resell them. This phenomenon may not last forever.

My 2 cents.

Jim

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, MG found a nice batch of BU Franklin's....that rascal!!!! Personally, I have not. Those MS Ben's sure are pretty though!! Just out of curiousity, did you ask the coin dealer what his buying price was?

OP
OP
Darth Walker

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He was buying 40 % at $1.74 per coins a few days ago

DW

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Got a few in one box a while back. All 63s and all were perfect but one that was marked by the rolling machine. Someone had dumped a roll into the sorter and out they came. Yesterday I got a half a roll of clad s-mints. All had seen some bumping and scratching on them. Looked like a CRH decided they'd held them ling enough.

Maine_Jim

scotty1418

Jan 21, 2009
I think it's feasible to find AU coins, but unless it's a group of rolls - unused since they were purchased back in 1959, the high grade wont be there.

The '60s dates and some of the '50s are very common in high grade and get $8-10, but for those 49-54 dates/mints, high grade is a little bit trickier.

I'm working on a set now and found it very interesting that everyone always talks about the '55 as the key, but it's a misnomer as the '49-s goes for much more.

Only 3 more coins to finish my set :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread