Roman Coin found in some pennies!

kestrelia

May 9, 2007
After my son went to bed last night I searched 9,500 customer rolled pennies. I thought I was doing really well when early in the batch I found a 1901 Hungary 2 Filler. It's one of the oldest foreign coins I've come across and is in great shape. Things got way better towards the end when in a roll that might have been from the same person (same, common wrapper) I found what I first thought was a smashed penny, but on closer inspection looked like some sort of ancient coin. I could hardly believe it! Could it be? I've dreamed about finding something like this. It's taken me a lot of research, but I now believe I've found a Roman coin from the usurper Postumus, 260-268!! In a roll of pennies ... hard to believe. It's a got a lot of greening, but there's some good detail on the front of it. (I might consult some experts about cleaning it, but won't do so before.) I can definitely read the whole obverse legend. Here's a picture of the coin I found, plus a picture of a similar one in better condition. (I can't find a better picture of the same coin just yet.) Please no one tell me it's some sort of fake! ;)

Happy hunting!

Brian

Attachments

• hungary_2_filler_1901.JPG
    hungary_2_filler_1901.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 503
  • postumus_260-268.JPG
    postumus_260-268.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 517
  • post.jpg
    post.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 516